Very interesting catfish story!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
  2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is a big catfish, I wonder is it truth.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I think it is that guy is definately smaller than that wagon so id say yes!

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    :lol: maybe the blow the picture up :lol:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If it is real that is a monster catfish. If it is a fake someone was pretty good with a camera way back when...

6. whiteelephant

whiteelephant New Member

State:
    florida
    Im sure I hooked and lost several that size:confused2:

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This same picture and topic has come up before on this site..... a lot of controversy was caused from it, it will be interesting to see if it gets that type of attention again.

In my opinion it seems to be a fake.......to many things can be done with photos and cutting and pasting and so on. Not to mention that the overall scale of the fish compared to the guy seems to be way unrealistic. That thing would have to weigh hundreds and hundreds of pounds if it were true.

I hope I am wrong because it would make for a great story, but as I recall from the last time this subject was brought up....that there was no solid proof of the authenticity of the photo.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    For One, I am sure the fish was caught:smile2: but that is either the biggest buckboard in history or that was a 6yr old in the pic. One other thing, actually two...first.. the shade and texture of the mans figure doesn't match the rest of the picture secondly what is he standing on.. there is nothing under his foot in the back.
    I would have to say that when this photo was shown at that festival no one could tell back then, (SHOCK VALUE)!!!

This one is a FAKE!!!

9. Trim

Trim New Member

State:
    Mississippi

That is the same thing I was thinking, Looks like he is standing on air.

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are ya ll calling that guy's momma a lier, I ain't burning my shirt to smoke him off of ya.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    it actually look like fake so that man look not match to that picture. It's hard to say if that catfish is huge or not, depend the size that wagon as child's wagon... but anyway thanks for sharing!

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Ohh yes 1914, i remember,

It was a hot dry day in the middle of summer, water was down a little, but not much, i was fishing the river in tennesee, 14ft Slabseaker, with a ultralight reel, fishing for some panfish, when whamm it hit, nightcrawler, and the fight was on, it took me 9 days of fighting that beast on my 6lb line, but when i pulled him onto shore it was all worth it, i ate for months, and yes i know i look young for my age but i was 19 when the picture was taken. LOL

So i hope everyone enjoys hearing what really happened from the one who caught it LOL

Marshall

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    How do you tell if a fisherman is lying?
    His lips are moving.

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ohh yeah, i got a video of me catchin him on my 1914 moto razer lol

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I copied the photo and took it into photo shop to check it out... for one, the guy in the photo has a "dick tracey" hat on.. out of place. additionally, the feet of the "looker on" is out of place with the background and they are in front of the tail.... like he is in space... the tail should be in the center of the cart, and upon inspection of the cart/tail relationship he is in front of the tail but lower down this feet are way back.

fake photo.... doctored up...

bayrurnner ray

16. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    My first impression of the photo was a fake. The man in the picture seems to be staring behind the catfish. Also, what is he stanging on? one foot on the wagon, another on the spoke it seems? The way he is standing is very odd. And he seems to stand out against the background.

Then after reading the story, I'm convinced it's an illusion as one account claims-a catfish on a child's wagon with a cardboard cut-out of a man from a cigarette ad placed in the picture. It says another photo from a different angle was found and the man was in the exact same pose.

All that plus the photo itself, I think it's a fake.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great old photo gag. I am sure it fed rumors for decades. It was the "big one" that everyone lost while fishing!

:lol:

18. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey whiteelephant, that's very funny! :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: I have several comparable experience also.

19. tinlizzy

tinlizzy New Member

State:
    New York
  20. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive always believe that photo was a fake.

If you look at every other species of animal there is a curve. Take bluecats for examples, you see a ton on 3-10# fish, they start getting quite a bit rarer as you progress up in weight. By the time you get to the other side there is a steep drop in the number caught but the size doesnt change a whole bunch. Example, there are 100's of bluecats caught that are 100+ pounds, but only a few above 120#'s. Now apply that to flatheads. You think that somehow at around 100#'s flatheads stop being caught, and then magically one 500-600# fish was caught. If they existed that big someone would have caught some between the 200-400 mark. Every animal record follows this pattern, there is a limit where most of the species stops growing at which is slightly smaller than the record for that species. There isnt any real huge jump. Take deer as an example as well(im not a deer hunter so my numbers are purely fictional). Say the average whitetail is 180#, 250# a big buck and 300 a huge/record buck. To fit with this picture youd need a 600# or bigger buck. It just doesnt happen.

In the article someone said something about not having gear that is able to haul one that big in. Well somehow we manage to pull in 120 # catfish on 20# line, and marlin topping 1000#'s on line in the 80# class. So saying the reaosn we havnt seen more is because we cant handle them that big is just plain wrong.

As other have mentioned, his feet do not appear to be in the right place.

He's wearing a suit, as opposed to something you might think someone climbing up by a fish might be wearing.

just my opinion.