Very important leader question

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by goclemson, May 4, 2007.

1. goclemson

goclemson New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently switched to braided line (power pro 50 lb) but I am still using a 30 lb monofilament leader. I have hooked 2 fish with it so far, the first was a small fish but my leader broke, the second was a big fish that was hung and could still take out line but when I tried to stop him, the line broke. On the second one, the leader was not hung it was just the braid. My question is, does it put too much stress on the leader since there is no stretch in the braid? I would like to be able to break my line if I get hung, will I be able to do so with 50 lb braid all the way down? Any help that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    For my catfishing when I used to use mono I for some reason wanted my leader to be stronger than the mainline. There are many rigs you can use, you can use a 3 way swivel and have the drop line to your sinker a real light test line like 12lb that way if you sinker gets hung you can get your leader and hook back. I have switched to just using a carolina rig with a no roll sinker,bead,polomar knot to a 2/0 swivel, 80lb gorilla braid leader, polomar knot to a 7/0-10/0 gama hook. You want your leader to be stronger than your main line because thats what is going to take all the abuse when the cat runs into cover, wheather it be 50-80lb mono or braid. If you dont have a strong leader its going to keep getting cut off. Thats what I do and I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

3. goclemson

goclemson New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks, I am going to try something different tonight I think, maybe some 50 lb mono, i think it would be easier to break if i got hung than 50 lb power pro

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You most likely have a problem with your knots or drag setting.Test your knots for strength.
    Jake

5. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always use a stronger leader as a mainline especially around heavy cover, an i agree with jake and check your knots and make sure your drag is set right

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use a lighter mono leader like 10 or 12lb test.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That should cure the problem going to 50 lb. mono for your leaders. If you have a hard time breaking it you might drop back to 40 lb. But keep using mono and not braid the braid will not be abrasion resistant and will cost you fish if it rubs against stumps or rocks. I use 30 lb. mono on the reel and 50 lb. for my leaders.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you need to set your drag lighter when using braid.you dont have any stre tch in your line so you lose the shock absorbimg effect.that puts lots of stress on your mono leader.lighten up.catch more fish.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have been using 80lb gorilla braid leaders for over 1 1/2 years now, I recently switched my mainline to 120lb braid. Now instead of breaking off an item, I usually pull up a tree branch or bend a 10/0 gama hook. Pretty soon the line will be paid off because I'm not losing gear or fish.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    maybe but if and when you hang something that wont give be careful.i just started using 85 lb.powerpro and i got hung on some steel cable,when the line finally broke iwent head first into a rock covered dam.between the rocks and the blackberry bushes i took most of the hide off my right arm and shoulder.bled all over the place.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Something will give if you know how to break it, wheather it be the main line, hook, or the leader. If you pull it really fast something will break. I hope I dont fall in though, that would suck.

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    goclemson,

I've just started to use "braided" lines myself....I chose the Ande 80# braid because the dia. of the line is around 18# and it fits all my reels....I'm planning to use any size leader I need for the fishing situation....I have my swivel joined to the braid with a "double Palomar"....Your line shouldn't break any faster now than it did when you used straight mono.....Did the line break or did your knot slip?????Dwight

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use braidedgreen trotline stagen for leader they dont break. iusetrotline hooks also they are pretty stout. iuse 30# mono linf seems to work fine. thanks sam.

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    When using braid make sure you wrap the braid around something besides your hand, braid cuts. I usually wrap it around the reel handle.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cat fish call snags "home".I would rather lose short sections than long sections when I break off.You have to decide according to your fishing conditions.I find heavy leaders are great on fairly clean bottoms.I find light leaders are great on snaggy bottoms.It is your gear that you are saving or losing.I don;t know about where you live but we have "snags"on the bottom of our rivers that have a reputation for toppling a drag line when they tried to pull it out years ago.I have also hung Gators in excess of 13 ft. in the Okefenokee.I never wanted a line or leader that I could not break off.You get a loop around a snag limb on a huge log or a Gator wraps your line,you ain;t going to straighten that hook.You would not be the first to have a Gator take his rod before you could cut it off.That rig ain;t worth losing a finger,limb or life to a log drifting down the river.That happen fishing with a friend.By the grace of God it missed the anchor rope or we would have lost the boat.I wish you the best.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee