Very First Carp 30lb!!!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i caught my very first carp today, i was fishing below Lake lavon dam, fishing for shad with a small jig, i fought him on 4 pound test for 20-30 minutes, it was on a micro reel that i just bought from bass pro, we netted him (kind of, he was a little big for the net) and i wanted to take a picture but no one had a camera on there phone or anything, he weighed bewteen 27-30ibs before he flopped off my scale and back into the water... which really ticks me off, it would have a been a new lake record, and a new jr. angler state record! o well mabe next time!!!

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Way to go! Sounds like you hooked a nice one. Doesn't it seem like we always manage to hook the biggest fish on our smallest rig? I bet you'll figure out a way to take a picture next time :smile2: Besides, since you didn't get a picture, I think I can already hear that fish growing! :tounge_out:

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    what a great fish. bet you had fun on the lite line.great job:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what no pic??? i wanna see

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i wish i had some pictures, now im hooked on carp fishing too!!!!

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now Bud! I know that was some serious fun! 30 pounds on ultralight lil Brother way to go! Maybe you can get a picture next time.:big_smile:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i bet that was an awesome fight! what i want to know is did the reel stand up to the fight? i mean does it still work??? if so, what kind of reel is it?

8. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good job and great catch! Don't worry...this time of year brings all the big uns to fishing spots like yours and there's more 30's out there so I'm confident you'll get a chance for at least one encore performance.

9. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi TX:

Let that be a cruel lesson to you bud, I NEVER leave home without my camera. Please accept the rep points as minor consolation.

Better luck next time & congrats on the catch.

Tight Lines & Good Luck!!

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    that was a very nice fish the biggest i caught was a 5 lb but im still watin for my monster cat and carp.:smile2:

11. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your first carp Kevin! They sure are alot of fun to catch, huh? Keep at it and Im sure youll not only catch another but maybe youll get a bigger one. Good job little bro!!

12. bobbabouy

bobbabouy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear he got away before you had a chance to get a picture of his pretty smile. When you get your next one, don't kiss him before turning him loose. They are wet kissers.

I bet that was a lot of fun on such a light rig. I doubt I could have landed a carp that size on 4# test. I probably would have broken the line setting the hook. And carp are amazing fighters, but you already know that.

Here is hoping that you hook his daddy next time out. My largest carp so far was 38#, but he wasn't caught on 4# test. I had my doubts a couple of times with 20# test.

13. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice
    hope i can get some like that

14. camden_blumenschein

camden_blumenschein New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like my first carp. The only difference is that the film in my camera didnt develop. Buy a digital camera.

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    them things fight like CRAZY!!! i caught one that was pushing 40 pounds... they are fighters keep it up and you will get ahold of another one

16. flat toad

flat toad New Member

State:
    Wv but currently in VA
    skeeter got it right always the biggest fish on the smallest rig. I caught a flat head on 8# using a dead one inch shad tring to hook up some bait. took about 25 minutes. he got in the spillway fast water and it was on and on and on. Makes you think about down sizing your tackle................ NAh