Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 9 ft GX2 spinning rod that needs a new reel because the BG5000 that was on it is now on my 12 ft offshore angler breakwater . i'm looking for something very budget friendly with a bait clicker/feeder and a little smaller/lighter than my BG5k in the 4000/5000 size . FWIU BG's are a little larger than most other reels with similar size ratings so i'm thinking a 5k from other makers will be a bit smaller ???

on my radar is the sharky 3 baitfeeder , piscifun carnivor x baitfeeder and the okuma avenger baitfeeder .
i like the piscifun because ..... well ...... Deiter likes it , LOL
the sharky seems to be the best fit as far as features and being sealed for saltwater and lots of favorable YT videos .
and the okuma because it has a whole lot of favorable YT videos .... but it doesnt have sealed bearing nor carbon drag :(

i'm open to suggestions if they're also in the 60$ish and under range . i want it for cats and also occasional pike and i'll be using 40-50 lb braid to a 15-20 lb mono leader . what are y'alls thoughts ?
thanks and take care , jeff .

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've got 3 sharky III and two avenger baitfeeders. The avengers are a bit smoother reeling and the drag starts up a bit smoother. I bought them all at once when I moved to Arkansas...honestly if I did it again I'd probably go all avenger. Both are good choices though imo. I've never touched or used any other baitfeeders in that price range 😂

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,323 Posts
I had the Sharky iii and it felt like it was going to bend and break on channel cats in the 5-10 lb range. I also have okuma avenger bait feeder and pen fierce iii live liner 4000 and of all of them I would never give the Penn up. It's my favorite reel as spinning reels go. I use it a lot. It cats a mile is smooth, built like a tank, and handles anything. But that's my experience

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,949 Posts
Big fan of the Sharky III myself. KastKing's customer service and parts dept have treated me very well. My Penn Fierce III live liner is a close second.

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
94 Posts
I would go with the penn reel. I have had issues with the cheaper graphite spinning reels flexing under the load of a decent fish. The stem of the reel and the handle will flex and twist with a fishing in the 10lb range. I also do not trust the extremely high drag ratings on some of the spinning reels. 35lbs of drag is a ridiculous claim for a graphite spinning reel. A lot of all aluminum saltwater conventional reels do not even make this claim.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would go with the penn reel. I have had issues with the cheaper graphite spinning reels flexing under the load of a decent fish. The stem of the reel and the handle will flex and twist with a fishing in the 10lb range. I also do not trust the extremely high drag ratings on some of the spinning reels. 35lbs of drag is a ridiculous claim for a graphite spinning reel. A lot of all aluminum saltwater conventional reels do not even make this claim.
I agree. I think the big drag ratings and ridiculous number of ball bearings are 100 percent sale gimmick. Not to say the reels are bad, you just have to know going into it that it won't hang with a higher price reel that might have less drag and bearings. I've had good luck with the Sharky 3, but I haven't got into massive fish with it either. I will say that it has good line lay so it casts very well and when you use the baitfeeder it actually has decently loud "clicker". For the price they are fine, just know the limits of the reel.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
80 Posts
i've got a 9 ft GX2 spinning rod that needs a new reel because the BG5000 that was on it is now on my 12 ft offshore angler breakwater . i'm looking for something very budget friendly with a bait clicker/feeder and a little smaller/lighter than my BG5k in the 4000/5000 size . FWIU BG's are a little larger than most other reels with similar size ratings so i'm thinking a 5k from other makers will be a bit smaller ???

on my radar is the sharky 3 baitfeeder , piscifun carnivor x baitfeeder and the okuma avenger baitfeeder .
i like the piscifun because ..... well ...... Deiter likes it , LOL
the sharky seems to be the best fit as far as features and being sealed for saltwater and lots of favorable YT videos .
and the okuma because it has a whole lot of favorable YT videos .... but it doesnt have sealed bearing nor carbon drag :(

i'm open to suggestions if they're also in the 60$ish and under range . i want it for cats and also occasional pike and i'll be using 40-50 lb braid to a 15-20 lb mono leader . what are y'alls thoughts ?
thanks and take care , jeff .
Jeff I have a philosophy I live by.........if it ain't broke don't fix it.Now admittedly I have never used a bait clicker on a spinning reel and detest them on my levelwinds(never used).If you love your BG as much as I do,I have 4500,5000 & 6500, I'd stick with them.I have never had better hook ups than what I can get with a locked down rod-n-reel sporting a circle hook.Not just that............you aren't going to get near the quality ,in any other reel, that's packed into a BG at the same or lower price.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd check out Penn for modern stuff. I have had success from all their reels. If you want real cheap, go with a vintage Mitchell 306. They are bomb proof and a good match for 9ft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Or take a look at the okuma avenger I have a couple and they perform really well

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
80 Posts
Well its finally nearing that time of year..........days too cold to enjoy the boat and come spring too windy to enjoy the boat.I'm tired of switching reels from boat rods to surf rods for bank fishing then back again so I made a command decision and ordered two more Daiwa BG 5000's,was gonna just grab one for now but SRMO has started charging a flat shipping rate of $12.99,just made sense to me.Round Christmas I plan on picking up a couple more then I'll have the complete set.No more swapping reels is gonna be nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts