Verotik's Bite Detector for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jon Saxon(Verotik) on July 9, 2002

Ever been nightfishing on a bank and wish you had some way to tell if your getting a bite without having a lantern lit or turning your flashlight on and of repeatedly? I thought this was quite a hassel so i decided to figure out a way of my own to build something to let me know when im getting a bite. Here is how you do it, and what you need.

Materials:
    1) SS-057 Car Alarm Shock Sensor ($1.95)
    1) 8 guage fuse holder
    1) soldiering iron & solder
    1) roll of electrical tape
    4) A76, LR44, 357, or G13 watch batteries (these are the same batteries the light up bobbers at Wal-mart use)
    1) Super-brite 5volt LED (color of your choice)

Assembly:
    First start out with the shock sensor. You can pick one of these up at anywhere that installs car alarms. Sometimes they have them left over from taking out old alarms. If you cant find one, i recommend buying one from David Levy Company. They are just under $2.00.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of what it looks like, and the part number is SS-057. Shock sensors have either 3 or 4 wires. There is a red, black, and 2 other colors. The red is obviously for the positive side of the battery, and black the negative side. The other wire(s) are trigger wires. First thing you need to do is seperate these wires. Take your watch batteries and put them in the fuse holder. It is meant to hold a AGU fuse, but it is the perfect size for a watch battery. You will have to stuff some aluminum foil in one of the ends, should be the threaded end where it comes apart, so the wire will make contact, as its too small for the battery to fit down into on that side. After you have your battery pack made up, solder the red wire to the positive side of the battery pack, as well is one end of the LED. You will either have to find out which side to solder with a Diode tester, or just by trial and error (which is faster). The other end of the LED gets soldered to the trigger wire(s). Then solder the black wire to the negative end of the battery pack. David Levy company also carries the fuse holders for under $2.00 each. You could probably find these at radio shack if you had to. I like to add in a small on-off switch. THis is an option, but it comes in handy instead of having to take the batteries out after your done for the night. Thats it, your done. You have a bite detector! The good thing about the SS-057 shock sensor is that it has adjustable sensativity. It will detect the tiniest hit. I mount my bite sensors between the reel and the first eye on the pole. You can locate the battery pack wherever you want. I hope some of you can use this idea like i have. Its wonderful for fishing on a dark night without having to use any lights. OH! And be careful when assembling, as electronics and soldering can be dangereous. DO NOT solder on the batteries, they WILL explode. Happy Fishing!