vermillon river catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by johnboat, May 4, 2009.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    anybody tried to get out on the vermillon lately ? i've been wanting to go upstream from pontiac since warm weather set in, but the river looks too high for my little boat, what with all the rain we been having..so i was wondering if anyone else has got a chance to try it ???:0a22:

2. cjuvinall

cjuvinall New Member

State:
    georgetown illinois
    ive been checking the river by georgetown dam and i think i heard the other day it was up 10-12ft, i know it is up alot just dont know by how much, i went 2 days ago just to get out of the house and sat on whats left of the bank and got a couple little bumps but nothing, had bluegills hitting when i tried worms. hopefully this rain will stop and the sun will stay out for awhile.

3. linespika

linespika New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bump for this..

Hey guys this is my first post on this site. I was planning on taking a day/night trip down to the Vermilion on friday to a favorite spot of mine. It's about a 1 1/2 hour trip from here in Aurora and I'd rather head elsewhere if the water is way too high.

Anybody local that can comment on the conditions? According to USGS it looks like the water is coming down but I fear all this rain heading our way is going to poo-poo my trip!

4. big_poppa

big_poppa New Member

State:
    tolono,illinois
    id keep looking at that to see. but with the way its been raining here all day, the river may be up.

5. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I have 1 1/2 inches of rain in my Gage here in Peru now...

6. big_poppa

big_poppa New Member

State:
    tolono,illinois
    according to the news, we are pose to get more rain tonight.

7. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    linespika, i'm going out tomorrow and stay overnite set out a trotline or two, somewhere near Mcdowell bridge or alittle farther upstream.. maybe i'll see you..just look for the skanoe with the guy thats talking bad to the fish.. it'll be me..lol:0a23:

8. linespika

linespika New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Johnboat,

Sounds like your fixin to really hand it to the fish haha.. Where is the Mcdowell bridge at? I'm not real familiar with the area, I usually just stick to a few spots I know near Piety Hill.. As I said I'm from Aurora and it's about a 2 hour trip so I typically go where I know the fish are for sure :)

Let me know how the bite goes.. I'll be making a 2 day trip down next weekend on the 29th and 30th hopfuly it's not flooded again since the damn rain cancelled my last trip!

9. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    mcdowel is about 6 miles (or so) northeast of pontiac by road cris..things are kinda screwing me up from going right now..the truck took a crap.. oil seals out, and can't get fixed till after memoral day..!!!^%$#!! looks like i may have to wait till the 29-30 too..

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in danville. A buddy and I were fishing the vermilion above the jailhouse dam. He hooked a nice one. Sure to beat his 10 pound personal best. He brought it up to the boat and lost it. We never even got to see it. I'm pretty sure it was a flathead though. Hooked it on a big sucker. He was using a pretty big weight and no leader. I think when he shook, the weight pulled the hook out of his mouth. They should start biting as soon as the water warms up. We'll see what happens over the weekend. It's supposed to start raining tomorrow and rain till wednesday next week.

11. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the Vermillion also, south of McDowell by a few miles. I"ve been fishing off the bank but am planning on getting my motor running on my boat so I can get out on there also. I know I can find even better places than I can off the bank. I've caught five big ones in one night off the bank where I fish but want to do some exploring, float some jugs and set trot lines also.

12. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    In the Ottawa paper the other day a couple of guys caught a 35 and a 25 lb Flathead on that river around Olgelsby.

13. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    last night ridge and I went out to our hole on the Vermillion, but couldn't buy a cat, I caught one sucker that we cut up for bait but nothing was hungry. We did manage to pull in a couple of stick fish off the bottom, with ridge winning with a 10 footer.