vermillion where it meets the illinois river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Human Resources 31, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    Is anyone fimilar with the mouth there for flatheads? I was wondering if I could use a spilt shot with a 4 or 5 hook and a bobber since its only 4 to 6 foot?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    its actually a bit shallower than that in a few spots. we were there this past weekend fishign the laydowns and old wooden piers for baitfish. right at the mouth it comes up shallow enough where i had to raise my trolling motor, and then once you get back to the first bridge, it does it again.

that said, i dont' see a reason why you couldnt' go for that plan you are thinking of. there isn't much current right there, so a float would probably be real good to suspend your bait.

FWIW, if you get bored, we caught 6 crappie that were 10-12" in there! def not what i was expecting! :big_smile:

3. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    Boober and a minnie? How far where you down from that mouth?

What time of day etc

4. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    theres a big old loading derrek type thing (lol...technical term there!) inside about 400 ft and to the right w\ some trees hung up below it. Caught a few there. Then there are some old wooden pilings that used to be a dock further up and some trees there. Then further up and on the left bank (when headed in) there are a couple more lay downs...once of which still has a TON of branches. All on the IL River side of the 71 bridge, which is about 2500 feet in from the mouth (thank you google maps!).

we were just using a tube jig w\ a wax worm. White head/light pink tube was seeming to out produce red/chart for both bluegill and crappie. We were basically dipping. We'd get pretty close to the structure and drop in, sink to the bottom and bring up a few inches...then just slowly work it up and down.

edit: oh whoops...time if day was probably 3-4pm. it was sat, and had finally stopped raining and the sun was out...pretty sure that was about then. We took the BG for bait and fished the mouth for a while w\ narry a bite. Not sure we gave it enough time before heading up to the SR dam, where we were pretty productive. (had a big one that was seriously tearing off line before he got me hung up on some rocks....argh)

5. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    thanks SC I will take the infor!

6. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    how close did you get up near the dam and what set up were you using weight swivel etc

7. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we anchored in about a 300mph current (i might be exagerating just a little) in a channel inbetween the two islands to the south of the lock pretty much pointed straight at the flag pole (41.324684, -88.990803, I'm giving you this because im fishing near pekin tonight, so you won't be in my way....lol!). I didn't go any further towards the dam than that because my graph was broekn and some other dudes told us that it gets pretty shallow at that water level.

I was using a drop shot style rig w\ a 5 oz bank, and my buddy was using a carolina style w\ 2 oz egg. Mine may have been overkill, but it still landed me a 9lb channel, so good enough, eh? :big_smile:

edit: i dunno what the rain has done to the water level up there, but if you end up going there, and when you first pull into the channel and don't see a wing dam of rocks to the left out from the smaller island, beware, they are there. so be careful if you want to fish the other channel along the riprap for the lock.

8. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    i fish up by the dam to never really got that close but i use a carolina setup with a 2oz sinker and just make sure to cast down stream. i have to many snags when i cast to the side. but i have caught some very nice channel up there just be sure to be ready to find some rocks i think i hit one every time i go up there LOL

9. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I seen alot of boats entering the mouth there fishing for walleyes etc too!