vermillion river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by johnboat, Sep 3, 2008.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    Anyone been fishing the vermillion near pontiac ? just wondered if it was worth putting my boat in there and going up river a couple of miles or so..The way it was a week ago you could just about wade accross it in some spots down stream..:eek:oooh:

2. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was their today, I was behind the old Co. jail. I was just trowing a small jig trying to catch some bait fish, the water is very low their, it looks deeper on the east side of the Mill St. bridge. Didn't catch anything to many ducks.LOL!!

3. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wes do you live in Pontiac? I live in Colfax, I just retired from the Prison.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the vermilion right out of danville. I have'nt been able to launch my boat in the past couple of months though because they're building a new boat ramp where I launch.

5. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's great (new boat ramp) The Gov. is closing the lake were I fish and hunt,( Dawson lake) I've never fished the vermillion river,I might have to give it a try.

6. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    thanks to all for the comeback.. george in response to your reply, yes i live in pontiac.. been here for about 8-9 years, the river is just 3 blocks from my place.. sure thought we were gonna have another episode like last jan, when we got flooded out..lol..anyway, after all the rain we've had, i'm gonna try to get upstream for a day to see what happens..the river is about back to normal now, and i know theres got to be some cats waiting...:big_smile_2:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Boy, we used to do pretty well north of the McDowell Bridge, oh about 1/2 mile or so to the north, there is an old ox-bow type area there, used to be a real nice stretch of deeper water through there, never caught any hogs, but alot of 5-10 # fish in that stretch, man back in th early 90's...... I guess it is till about the same, there are some real lower unit eaters in that river too!