Vermilion River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by SilverCross, Dec 17, 2005.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Anybody around fish any of the smaller rivers that feed the Illinois River??

2. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    hey, i didn't realize you were from Fairbury. my girlfriend's parents live in Wing, which isn't too far from you.

I've fished the Vermillion quite a bit while I was up visting her. Best spot I've found for catfish so far is in Pontiac at the park right downriver of the jail.

Is there anywhere else to fish up near you? I've driven up to Powerton (i think, it's up north of pontiac a ways) but that's pretty far away.

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Cat Hunter, I live in Forrest and have fished most of the small rivers/streams and ditches around here. I'd have to say my favorite is the Mazon river north of Coal City. It flows into the Illinois just to the east of the bridge at Morris. I fish it about 5 miles out of Coal City where there's some good channels and flatheads. It's a rare day to get skunked there, and holds some nice fish. Hard part is finding a place where you are allowed access. Most of the landowners do not respond in the positive mode to requests.
    Rat

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I've found several places I can get to the water, but haven't had much luck last year. Hoping it will be better this year. Wow rat, I didn't kmow you lived in Forrest either. I am in the radio shack in Fairbury four days a week. I'm the one in the bib overhauls...lol

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Cat Hunter, Everything was so low around here last year, I can believe you had problems hooking up. Hopefully, this'll be a better year.
    If you ever want to try my spot on the Mazon, let me know. I got a sister lives in the country and the river runs through her back yard.
    Rat

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Rat, I'm always ready to try a new spot, when it warms up I would love to give it a go. Thanks for the offer. Dick

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I'll keep you in mind when the weathers ready. We'll get some flatheads and channels, prolly a turtle or two and half a hundred snags.
    Rat

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Snags, oh yeah, I know what they are. That's where you lose some tackle. I just love them,,NOT.. I can live with losing some to catch some. Does the Mazon have a fast current or a slower one?

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Dick, it's a fairly slow moving river when it's at it's normal summer depth. There's 2 sets of riffles in the area I fish and I can walk through them both with no worries of losing my footing. Upstream and downstream of the area I fish is some really shallow water, and where I fish is probably only about 4 feet deep at the max. But as the water drops in the summer, all the fish congregate in that area.
    Rat

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Rat, How you holding up during the winter. I have been out three times so far. No fish, just mostly trying out a new reel and such. I got a friend that is going to do a little welding for me soon as I go over to his house. Need to change my rod holders just a tad. Thinking about maybe making a cart for hauling my fishing geer around instead of having to tote it all. I was hoping to go over to Powerton on the 17, but the boss doesn't want me to take off, sure would like to go, but oh well another time.