Vermilion River catfishing

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by StuBone278, Jan 30, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well I now believe that pretty much Chris (drinkmoremilk) and I make up a large percentage of the Vermilion River fishermen, heheh. Well ever since I've gotten the outboard a whole new world opened up on the river. Last Sunday was such a pretty day I couldn't pass it up! Woke up bright and early and had a yearnin to hit the water. I called around to see if anyone could come with me, as my parents don't like me being in the river alone just in case something were to happen. I had been looking at the maps on Google Earth and mapped out some distances and places to try fishing, so I packed all the gear into the car and drove the short 200yard stretch of neightborhood street to the empty lot where the day would begin.

After loading the boat, hooked up the new fishfinder, and being tired as hell from the 100yd walks back and forth across the lot, I started throwing the cast net. Catching baitfish proved to be difficult, as the water was about 4 feet higher than normal, so off the bulkhead was much deeper waters. I ended up with 1 shad. I'd later regret not catching more!

So I set off and went upriver a half mile to a small inlet and saw a GIGANTIC arc on the fish-finder right at the mouth of this inlet, but never got anything, was just checking out areas. I then headed back downriver a good 3.5 miles to an inlet just below the hwy 733 bridge. It lead into a beautiful backwater that meandered along the backs of huge houses with big beautiful yards. All I can say is that in the summer it will be GAR HEAVEN!

Well after paddling quite a ways not to disturb anyone, I started making my way back to the mouth of the inlet when I remembered that catfish should stack up at the beginning of the inlet when the river is high. I checked the fish-finder, and sure enough, started seeing a few arcs in a small hole which dropped off to 16 feet. I thought, what the heck, so I "beached" the boat in between a tree and land and tossed out my cat pole with 1/2 a shad on the end. Since I was by myself I brought out my Ipod and put it on a nice Allman Brothers song, while only 1 minute into the first song my line started dancing across the water. I picked up the rod and applied steady pressure while starting to get the fish in, not sure what it was (maybe a gar?) I didn't pull too hard. Yet when I felt the "Death Roll" I knew it was a cat and got em in. A 2 pound Blue cat!!! My first blue cat!!! I then threw out my bass pole with the same bait/rig....and it was SLAMMED within 30 seconds!!!! Pulled another 1.5 pounder into the boat, and still was removing the 2 pounder from the first pole!! Well after that the blues wouldn't want anything to do with cut bream, so I fished a while more and had to go home. Just wish I would've had more shad!!! It was A GREAT DAY!!!!:cool2:
    PS: I've you've read this far, thanks! I went overboard on this one, heheh.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Stu, congrats on the catch. You are right about not many people fishing the Vermilion River. It has gotton a real bad rep. over the years. It is ashame because it is a very nice river. I have heard it is alot cleaner now than it was 20 years ago. I think the state still recommends that you do not swim or eat any fish out of it.

On the lower end of the river where it dumps into the marsh it gets really wide. I know people who trot line in the area and catch some really hugh flatheads and blues. Over 30 pounds.

Good luck on your next trip. If you cannot find any shad next time try using worms.

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Sounds like a great trip congrats

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Stu,
    Glad you had a great trip. Keep up the good work. Because of high water, I am waiting a week or so before getting back on the Miss. Go get em again.:lol:

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks for the replies, and especially for the flathead info! I KNEW they had some in there, they just couldn't NOT have any... I believe I've had one take a 5" mullet on the drop because it got slammed and was like being hooked onto a freight train going upriver before SNAPPP.... I know I'ma get into some nice areas of blues sooner or later.

I just want to see how to get into flatheads... The river is pretty monotonous as underwater contour goes, mainly 16-18 feet deep in the channel, should I fish the bottom anywhere specific? Bends? Any advice would be great.

I think the best part was that I remembered how the fish should stack up at the mouth of the inlet, then actually seeing fish/structure on the sonar, and finally using it to catch them! Can't wait to hit the water again!

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well I went out yesterday morning with a friend, we did ok, had a good time in the end.

To start out I was so pumped because within 3 casts with the cast net we had a 1lb. mullet, about eight 6" mullet, 2 10" shad, and about 10 more 4" shad!!!

I should've headed downriver and fished a good inlet, but decided to go upriver a few miles and fish "choupique point." We anchored and cast out lines right at the mouth of the inlet, where the clear water meets the muddy water and forms a line.
    We then set up a bit and lied down on the seats relaxing, waiting for a bite....not much action, until my pole almost gets tugged into the water! I jumped up and started reeling in, but nothing was fighting...and saw a stick come out of the water. After a good laugh that I had caught a stick the thing starts running to the left really fast! A decent fight yielded a 4 pound channel cat! Didn't take a picture though, :sad2: he was hooked kind of bad and bleeding somewhat, so I wanted to return him as fast as possible.

It's all we got, but at least we got one. We also had a little engine trouble but overall the morning was pretty good.

7. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Glad you got one. Sounds like you had a good time. I let a couple of fish go yesterday also. Let's em get even bigger.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    YEAH MAN!!! Got into some bigguns today!! Total catch of just over 30 pounds. I went with my friend Tim from 11am-2:30...and it was just plain nuts!!

1st off, I had cleaned the spark plug/replaced the oil on the outboard so it was running Perfectly...It was starting up on the 2nd or even 1st pull every time.

Secondly, once we got off within 10 casts of the cast net we were full of 6" shad....

We headed downriver to my favorite spot but stopped a little short to try a bend I had wanted to try earlier...Tim got the 1st one, a 2.5 pounder, then I got a 5 pounder within 10 minutes of the first one.

After a while we decided to move on to the final inlet where I had caught before. We anchored just where the water makes a seam and casted down the main riverbank. Within 5 minutes we got Tim's 9 pounder, then I caught a 4 pounder, followed by a 2 pound channel. We headed back upriver some and I caught an 8 pounder... All CPR'd

It was an overall great day, and very pretty...all blue skies. The only downside was that at times it was a little chilly with the wind.

Also as a side note, most people are saying that the water is too contaminated to eat the fish out of....for Chemistry we're probably gonna do water quality tests from different places, so when I get the results from the Vermilion I'll be sure to post them up here..

Attached Files:

9. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Looks like you hit em pretty good. We were out yesterday also and like to have been blown off the boat it was so windy. Glad you did so well. I don't see any three eyed catfish there, they look pretty healthy. The site below is the official list of waters with mercury and other contaminant warnings. I didn't see Vermilion River but it may be known as something else. Every time folks kid me about fishing the Mississippi I quickly note that there are no warnings associated with it and they taste really good!!
    Go get some more.

http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/Portals/0/planning/Fish Consumption Advisory Table - 3-8-96.pdf

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks man, that's a great site! It seems like there may be some mercury in the Vermilion, but if I'm reading it correctly it seems that its only below Abbeville, so I'de be in the clear, but I'm still not sure. I see lots of chemicals atop the water (foam/a cleaner agent type smell) exausting from the sewage plant...:crazy:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just remember fish swim upstream.our game and fish has found some contaminated fish 50 miles upstream of where the water is bad.not so bad that you cant eat 2 or 3 meals of small fish a month.

12. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nice catch Stu. I would be real catious about eating anything out of that river. I have heard that it is not as bad as it was but they still suggest that you do not swim in it or eat any fish out of it. Oh well, just my 2-cents. Again, congrats on the nice catch, Randall.:smile2:

13. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Stu,
    Glad you checked the website again. After reading your post I saw Vermilion River on there. That was a good catch.

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Ah hit the river again today, although I really was NOT prepared for the weather that hit as soon as we got to my favorite spot....wow was it COLD, my cousin Ross and I just about froze once the wind really kicked up and the temps dropped with the front coming through! :crazy:

Started out with some decent shad, no engine troubles, so it was decided we head down the river. Boat traffic was mediocre, mostly okay, but some real jerks planed right by us going a good 30 mph in their bay boat, scared the hell out of me because I didn't even hear them coming...

We headed for some "shelter" and went into the inlet until the wind was shrouded by the trees (we were wearing t-shirts and shorts, so we didn't have much) and decided to cast out.

After a while Ross got a yellow bullhead, first one we've gotten out the river. We decided to go even further into the inlet because the wind was still getting to us.

Right as we started to leave and pick up the poles, a catfish jumped out of the water about 10 feet from the boat, but I thought it was a silver carp and just kept going to reel in my rig when I find its all tangled around the shaft of the motor and my cousin's lines also, so we untangle it and I had a cat on! Ended up being a nicee blue, 8lb. 12oz.!!! Ross then caught a 1.5pounder as I was dehooking the biggun. We shortly decided to head in before we really froze.:smile2:

The lesson I learned here: don't just check if it's going to rain/river height, check the AIR TEMPS too...:angry:

Attached Files:

15. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Sounds like you had a somewhat eventful trip. Nice to see you got something for your efforts. I bet it was a little nippy out there. It was fairly cool not on the water and in blue jeans. Take care and catch some more.

16. drinkmoremilk

drinkmoremilk New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Cant wait for some warmer damage...then the real fun starts (GARRRRR)

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana

Ay Chris, glad to see you postin up here...I know gar sound so good but the catfishing has been hot lately...with 8 pounders the last 2 trips i'm not sure if we should still specificly target those gar. Who knows maybe we'll find another spot with some sure 10s to 30s (catfish)....

18. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    Stu,

Keep up the good job with fishing reports. My husband and I like the pics. Looks like its gonna be a great spring and summer.

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Here we go again, a good day overall, great weather and no other boats on the water...probably cause it was a monday afternoon, hehe....

We didn't have much work after school so me and Chris set out to catch a few cats. Nice and warm weather, no troubles, got a few shad and bream.

Fished the same inlet as last couple of times, I may need to find a new spot soon (and I know a good one now) but we're still tearin them up. Chris got the first one, a 2 pound channel, and I got a 3 pound channel and a 2.5 pound blue cat in an hour and a half. All on cut shad in 5 feet of water. :cool2: Chris also had a gar on his line with a cork for a while, but it got off after tying into some floating debris. :sad2:

Attached Files:

20. drinkmoremilk

drinkmoremilk New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Where are you thinking would be other productive areas, studaddy?