Verdigris River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Mar 10, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody from southeast Kansas ever fished the Verdigris river? Back when I was in junior college down in Coffeyville we'd always go down to river road...always wanted to set some lines but never got the chance. I've always been a little scepticle about whether or not there were some good catfish in the river but when you drive in there are some pretty big skeletons nailed to the telephone poles. I am thinking about making a trip down there maybe in the summer... would it be worth it?

2. rigger

rigger New Member

State:
    arizona
    if u go let me no i was born and raised in that area just moved to arizona in august

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Yes, I have fished it a few times. I went to the city dam in INDY, I have done pretty good there. Also the outlet at Elk city res.

4. R2800

R2800 New Member

State:
    MO
    I used to live in Independence. My dad & I caught alot of flatheads & channel cat out of the verdigris using trotlines during the 70's & 80's. On occasion we would catch a striped bass that would weigh 15 lbs or so. I've seen alot of big flathead come out of there from people who were using carp for bait. I never seen any blues back then but I've heard they
    re starting to show up.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Yes, about a year ago I went out on the river and set lines. We set about 20 lines and caught 11 nice channel. biggest: around 15 pounds smallest: about 5 lbs.
    We also caught 3 on rod and reel.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys, i sort of suspected there were some decent catfish in there. The area that I was talking about was in Coffeyville though. I don't know if you all are talking about that too or more towards the Independence area. There is a road that runs by the coffeyville city works department or something and I think the water plant too. I'm thinking kind of up river in that area.... anyone know anything about that area of the river? If i remember right, it seemed shallow in spots but seemed like it had some good downed logs and structure too. If my memory is right, there were at least two little dams through that area... I've always wondered is it a bad thing to try between dams? or should you try upriver from the dams?