Verdigris River Snake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Kelmar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    What kind of snake is this? He want's in my boat! I saw four two weeks ago out on the nav channel.

Attached Files:

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Cottonmouth

Do not let into the boat.

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    and that area is known for sproutin some big ones..

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A DEAD snake thats what kind it is. I know I'll get slammed by a lot of PETA types but I'd make sure it wasn't making no more babies.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm with you on that one Darryl!!!! Only good snake, is a dead snake!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    From what I have read, if it has a triangular shaped head, its poisonous. That sure looked triangular to me. I know rattlers and copperheads swim, but I'd give more of a nod to the cotton mouth tag. Think the only poisonous snake in the United States which does not have a triangular head is the coral snake. At any rate, they are enough to make you go brrrrrrrr.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Cotton mouth, they get real friendly, and agressive, when they feel threaten,
    will rise out of water and show you some white . makes you want to watch, washing your hands in river. we have a place here on Sac river. they get, agressive about the second week in Aug. shedding and mateing I've been told.
    Jim

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Swimming High in the water, Dark, pointed backbone and a nasty disposition.

Boat paddle target .
    Sorry if the ID was a little vague but close enough to error on the side of caution.
    Most Normal.. "Let them Pass" water snakes will get the heck out of dodge the second they have the chance..
    Any that square off and give me chance probable mis calculated my tollerance. :tounge_out:

Don't hate them all but one run in with a Bad Boy will change how ya treat Most of them.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Definitely a cottonmouth. Mean sucker most of the time.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use to be a snake freak when I was little and caught all kinds of snakes including water snakes. That actually looks a little more like a Northern Water Snake but I could be wrong. They are very common around here and get confused with cottonmouths. They have a similar pattern to a Cottonmouth but the pattern is more distinctive. I have been bite by them before and there saliva contains a substance that inhibits the coagulation of blood. Which means you will bleed for a while from their bite. Here's a pic of one.

Attached Files:

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Here's a pic of another one. The patterns are brighter on some and dull on others.

Attached Files:

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Chris, there's another way to tell.
    The cottonmouth swims with most of it's body on top of the water.
    Like it's floating.
    While the water snake only has it's head out of the water.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was raised on a minnow farm north of stuttgart. Cotton mouth country. Another sure way is a white dot about the size of a match head on each corner of his head. Yes the floating high on the water like a chunk floating is a dead ringer too. The sight of one's mouth open is something that will stick with ya. Wish i had a dollar for everyone i killed and i have no remorse doing it either.

14. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I used to live in Casscoe, right by stuttgart, and you are 100% correct that area is cotton mouth country!!! I haven't seen one here in Oklahoma. I dont even know if they are around here. But I guarantee you if I ever see one, my noodling days are over,lol.

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Seen them in OKC (Dolese Park and Stinchcomb) and the Cimarron River by Guthrie.

16. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Will, that can't be. I've heard several people from the ODWC say that there are no water moccasins in Oklahoma County. :confused2:

I'm not sure how they can say that. I've seen them, too. Actually, I just saw one the other day in a pond on the Okc/Edmond line. They give me the creeps.

17. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    lol I know they're not here.
    Just needed to tell the one I caught at Dolese that.

Bad thing is, there's a bunch of animals and insects that don't listen to the experts, and they go where ever they please.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Daniel, you got high water marks past your knees too? My uncle owns the big minnow farm in De Valls Bluff. I use to hunt honey creek alot north of Casco. Nice to meet someone from my neck of the woods.

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    with that triangular head Im guessing water moc. or an ugly copperhead. Not all copperheads are as pretty as the northern subspecies.

20. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    copperheads also put off a very strong stink, similar to a gar, any other noodlers know when you smell it and no gars to be around time to get alert