Verdigris river rig

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by capt theory, Apr 20, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if anyone has the new catfish insider i would highly recommend checking out the european catfishing rigs article. the last rig is called a poly ball rig. for fishing the verdigris river by bank that is perfect. doesnt do any good to throw a three way rig to the bottom if the fish are suspended in a school of shad, and thats why i think its hard to fish that river(or similar rivers) when stuck on the bank. of course you can use a bobber but that requires alot of attention to fish that rig. now the poly ball rig will keep your bait in place just underneath the surface to about 4 or so feet deep. you can do longer but it becomes a chore. i did modify the rig a little bit by using a standard three way knot (double loop surgeon knot) inbetween the float and the swivel and added alittle weight to the float to keep it in front of the rig when casting. i tried it out at lock 18 monday and it worked perfect. i got one good bite but i wasnt paying attention until i saw the rod come back up and the float reappear. also wasnt the right time of day to be out there. but i would definatly check that article out if your a bank fishermen. me personally, it revolutionized my approach to that river. im gonna call it the verdigris river rig since i modified it... or is that cheating..

2. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    where is lock 18. Is it on the verdigris

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    right on jeff. catfishinfordman, its the lock and dam thats just east of tulsa. if you take 71st eastbound it will litterally dead end at the dam. ill probably be going out there this weekend if you want to meet up and ill show you what i know about the area. its very heavely fished and it shows kinda like keystone. they did some maintence out there recently wich helped alot, but still doesnt make up for the shotty fishing. if you can work the upper part of the water column youll have luck cause i see fish hitting the surface and belly rolling constantly.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

That's a pretty interesting rig there Josh. I can definately see advantages in using that rig and it's pretty easy to adjust the depth even while you have your bait in the water. I do have one question for you in that you said bobbers require too much attention? I didn't know how that was different from any other rig that might recieve a lot of bites. I've been using some large homemade slip bobbers that can hold 8 ounces of weight if needed. There's easy to adjust the depth with a slip not and work well in current. I do like with that setup that you can adjust the depth of the rig by simply letting out more line or pulling in a little more.

5. catfishinfordman

State:
    Broken Arrow, O

Capttheory
    I am going out there sunday for sure. I would really enjoy learning more about the area. And learn what u know and maybe teach u what I have learned in the last month or so. I will be there about 9 am maybe earlier if at all possibel

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    dont get me wrong i love slip bobber rigs. but when you have multiple rods out they require a little more attention to keep them in the sweet spot. when im trying to drift the baits through a zone they are perfect, but when im fishing at night they move to much and the next thing you know there up next to the bank a little downstream. with the poly ball rig i put on an eight ounce weight to keep the rig tight and let out the line to where the float is on the top with a glow stick. its so easy to keep your eye on it from a distance when your jigging or messing with another rig. im gonna try to work with it this weekend so ill keep you all posted.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    How about a diagram of this rig??? I would like to see what all the fuss is about, LOL!!!

8. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its in the new catfish insider under the european rigs article. id scan it in for you but its at home and im at work. unfortunatly i wont see a computer again till after the weekend. hopefully someone can post it sooner but if not ill do it monday night. sorry dreadnaught.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Congrats to Josh on catching a 28# Blue on his new rig today on the Verdigris.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nice sized blue!

Who is Josh?

11. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats me tdawgnok! yeah i met brad jim another guy at the lock sunday morning. before they even got down there i had banked one that weighed 28. i did get some real good bites that even had the float leaving a wake across the top of the water but the whole time we fished i noticed that litterally every time i walked off to tend to another pole or bs for a moment i would get a good bite. none while i was staring at the water. good times good times.. tulcat, i would like to note that my version of this rig is alot more heavy duty because im exclusively after giant catfish. i need the extra beef to hold up a pound or bigger shad or big chunks of carp. your probably gonna get a whole lot more bites than me with some of them being hawgs, but id rather they leave my baits alone until big bertha comes through..

12. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13608i forgot to post a diagram of the rig. its about 3 or 4 posts down. it says i cant post the same thing twice so hopefully i linked it right. i just drew it up because i dont want to cause any trouble by scanning in magazine pics. dont laugh at my artistic skills...:rolleyes: you can use everything from little bobbers for scaled down rigs or big chunks of styrofoam for the more hardcore versions. pay attention to leader lengths, especially the length between the swivel and the three way knot. if you dont itll be a chore to cast..

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nice lookin rig!!!

Looks kinda like what I was gonna try on sat up at Oolagah, never did get any decent cat bait though so I didn't even mess with it.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, so a cat has the bait in its mouth and is moving off... wouldn't that weight prevent you from getting a good hook set, or is it only used in shallow applications? Like if the sinker was in 20' of water and you went to set the hook, wouldn't you have to pull like 25' to 30' of line to get it to a point the hook would penetrate the jaw bone? Can you get a drift of what I'm asking?

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Since it will be this evening before Josh gets online, I'll take a stab at it.

While I have some of the rigs tied up, I did not get a chance to cast them out last weekend, but did compare notes with Josh. Since we are both using circle hooks, the setting the hook is a moot point as the bouyancy of the float should do the work for you.

Now if you were not using a circle hook, I would think you could run into problems if your weight was not sufficient to where your hook setting motion did little other than lift your sinker from the bottom. Ideally (as I see it) for this rig to work with a J hook you would need a sufficiently heavy weight and a good hook set to where you not only lift the weight up, but also cause enough line to slide through (where your weight attaches to main line) to achieve your hook set.

Please let me know if you disagree or if I was not clear.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have never caught a fish on a circle hook. You mean to say just the weight of the float being drug through the water is enough to set a circle hook... I thought the fish had to load the rod in order to get hook set....

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

With a large enough float, the float will provide the resistance to make the circle do its magic, just as with a jug line. I use nothing but circles on my jugs and get a great hook up ratio.

18. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

As I rethink my position, I'm not so sure the float in this rig provides the necessary resistance to set the circle or not?

I am working on pure theory (although I do know this works with a large noddle float) as I have not been able to fish this rig yet, while Josh has actually fished it and caught fish. I think I wll set back and wait for his opinion.

I look forward to trying it this weekend at where else? The Verdigris!

19. catfishinfordman

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    From what i understand from josh the fish that he caught did hook its self and nearly pulled the pole out of the rocks. But while I was there and thinking about it now he did miss a couple of very good bites. But in the defense of the rig he was using shad that was like 6 inches long. So what ever was biting mite not have been big enough to to get the hook in its mouth. The one he did hook was right at 28 pounds. So the fish was big enough to eat the hole shad. So In my opinion I would think that the rig would work well. As for deeper water I would not have a clue. Josh If I am wrong feel free to let me know.

20. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats why i use an 8 ounce weight and a big float. the lines tight enough that when somethings messing with the bait it registers in the rod tip. if the float takes off or the line go slack on your pole, pick the pole up and start reeling in until you feel the weight of the fish and its a done deal. just like a float i suppose, you look for the signs and when it happens start reeling in to set that circle hook. also brad, 6 inches was the smallest bait i used for the rig. the bait that the 28 pounder took was almost a foot long. i just cant always find that sized bait so thats why you saw the 6 to 10 inchers being used. you can use a lighter weight and i think itll take longer for the fish to detect anything but right now im sold on 6 to 8 ounces. i just know i wasnt paying attention when those other good bites happened. next time i suppose.