Verdigris River above Oologah in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcentral, Apr 9, 2006.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    This is a great section of the Verdigris that flows into Oologah. The fishing is almost always good and I don't make it out there enough. Today my son and I went and put in at Big Creek Ramp and trolled for sandies and did a little juggin. We got a late start today about 11:30 am as I was finishing some boat trailer repair. Anyway we took 32 jugs with us and tossed out 16 with cut spoonbill and then went to find the sandies. The sand bass we caught today were off the deeper diving shad raps. We caught about a dozen and then went to catch shad for the rest of our jugs. We proceeded to throw out another 16 jugs with shad and went to trolling again. We ended up with only 30 sandies for the day and kept the biggest fifteen. We either caught 2 pounders or little bittie guys. The cut spoonbill didn't do crap for us today and all the bait was left on our hooks. The jugs with shad we ended up with eight keeper bluecats and channels. Nothing too big in the way of catfish the biggest one was 4 pounds. We were fishing in the middle of the day and there is no water flow on the river to get them going. I'm sure if we baited up at night we would have done much better. Anyway what a great day to be out on the water. My digital camera only had one pic left remaining to use so here's the pic of the day. Nothing special but a couple nice sandies from the day. Man I hate cleaning these scale fish. They make more of a mess than the catfish when cleaning them.:p

Attached Files:

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats cool. have you ever specifically gone for flatheads there? ive been told thats where some of the biggest flatheads in the state are. also been told theres lots of logjams and debris thats great for crappie. and we all know crappie and flatheads go hand in hand when it comes to structure.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Looks like you had a good day.

I have never fished that part of the river, but would like to some day.

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Josh, Your right about lots of flatheads in that section of river. The whole North end of Oolagah is nothing but a stump filled and submered timber nightmare. There lots of fifty plus pounders that are taken either in the upper portions of Oolagah or in the river. There use to be a bait shop in Nowata attached to a gas station. It is now closed but the old man that use to run it caught a flathead off a limbline just 3 pounds short of the unrestricted record of 106 pounds. I've never gone there's specifally for flatheads but there's plenty of them there. There's blues in there also but I've never heard of any monster blues out of Oolagah just big flathead.

5. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    how's the fishing around double creek good? or do you need to go farther north.

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Brandon,

There's very good fishing at the North end of the lake at double creek cove. There's decent campgrounds there also. The North end of the lake is full of LOTS of shallow submerged timber. Take it slow while you learn the creek and river channels. Look for the trees that point inward into the lake. These are the trees were on the old river bank was and will help guide you.
    Run you boat not more than 5 mph though the area as you get to know the where everything is located. This speed your boat will roll over trees but not do much if any damage. Also make sure you have a extra drain plug, I've had mine pull out before rolling over timber.

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    FYI If your considering putting in at Big Creek, Highway 60 bridge that goes over the Verdigris is closed for repair. The road to Big Creek is just to the east of the Verdigris Bridge. In order to get there you need to take Highway 169 North and then take Highway 28 loop around. This adds about 20 extra minutes to the drive. I heard that it will take about three months to finish which kind of sucks. Then need to time Bridge repair more condusive to fisherman. :p

8. dobbie

dobbie Member

Me and several buddies are going to camp 5 nights at big creek April 21-25.We are going to target the big flatheads,using limblines and jugs baited with big perch.I should have a report the 26th.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Sounds like a lot of fun! I look forward to your report... Good Luck

10. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    Im going out to skiatook on froday night. My buddy says he knows a good crappie hole. there I told him I will fish for crappie as well but I am definately going to take some perch and stuff for the flatts exspecially. IS there any good spots for shad on skiatook.

11. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Most people I've talked to who fish Skiatook catch there shad elsewhere, as they are hard to find on the lake. My one and only visit there we tossed a net for over 3 hours with no shad, but were lucky enough for another fisherman to give us several dozen shad. He said he caught them at a nearby creek, but did not elaborate as to where it was.

12. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Well today I spent 5 hours scouting bank access and boat ramps on the Verdigris starting at the Oologah headwaters and up the river to where Hwy 28 crosses and then back down the river. I hit my share of unimproved roads and managed to find 5 spots where bank fishing was possible and you could get pretty close by truck. I also checked out the Big Creek and Double Creek boat ramps and campgrounds for a May trip.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We went up to Oolagah on Sat night. Only caught 1 crappie that was about 5 in. Oh, and several Zebra Mussles.

Question for you guys who boat on Oolagah. What steps should be taken when you pull yer boat out, before going to a lake that isn't infested with Zebra's?

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Chris!

First time I ever really thought about them. Since I have a boat now, I've become more aware than before. *(Even though I still haven't gotten it fixed and out on the water yet.)*

15. dobbie

dobbie Member

We had a good trip on the Verdigris this weekend.We caught a 67#flathead Sat. night,and a 70# flathead on Monday night.We had 25 flatheads in 5 nights of fishing.Most of the fish were caught in log jams,with ash poles nailed to the logs.We also used bungee cords to.The fish were caught on perch and bullheads.We also had out jugs with shad and cut sandbass on them.The few fish we did caught were dead in 3or4 hours.It didn't matter what hook they were on.The hooks were 3,6,9 foot off the bottom in 20-30 foot of water.We even moved them towards the bank in 15 foot of water and that didn't help.We pulled them up before the the rain,so it might be better with cooler water.I'm not sure what happen but we only had 1 flathead on Tuesday night.

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Congrats those are some mighty big flathead. Sounds like a good time had by all. :cool:

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Sounds like you had a pretty good trip!

Were you fishing primarily above or below Big Creek ramp?

What depths did you catch the big flatties at? How deep was the water and how deep was your hook?

Thanks

18. dobbie

dobbie Member

We caught both of the big fish on ash poles around 15' long with about 3' in the mud.One was on mud bank,and one nailed on log in heavy brush.I would say it was 6-8' deep,with bait a foot off the bottom.We fished towards the lake from Big creek.We had almost all of our bait gone except for the bullheads.It was hard to tell what bait they were hitting on,but we did get a33#flathead on a bullhead on a log in 20' of water withbait about 6' deep.I think we just hit it right because of the storm,because we had some good bait on Tue night and had one 19# flathead,and 6 Channels.I think maybe the channels were getting the bait off before the Flatheads could get to them.We didn't start baiting until around 9:00

19. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I fished the Verdigris this weekend. Well kind of I spent most of my time in Big Creek. I got to the river Friday evening and the Verdigris was flowing pretty good. There was too much debris, trees, logs and trash to put jugs out and I didn't feel good about trying to set any lines in the current since I was by myself and it was getting dark. I ended up fishing big creek all night since there wasn't too much debris in the creek and I figured some nice flatheads would be in there getting out of the main channel current. I baited up twenty limblines with nice size perch, threw out some jugs and baited my poles. The limblines proved to be very effective but I was surprised that all the fish I caught on my limblines with live perch were all channels. They were big channels and I don't think I caught one under 3.5 pounds. Most of the channels were anywhere from 5 to 9.5 pounds. I only caught two blues with the biggest one being 9.5 pounds same as my biggest channel. I fished until it started to rain around 2:00 am or so and fished in the rain all morning Saturday and then cleaned fish.

I did run into a little problem with I got hung up on a log underwater. I got off the log but later on I notice my feet were under water in the boat. My drain plug got pulled out and I didn't have a spare. Also the back end of the boat was starting to go underwater and the bilge pump outlet hole on the back of the boat was under water so it was useless to run the thing. I limped back to the ramp and got the trailer down into the water. Now at this time my jugs on my rear deck were floating off the back of my boat and I had a pretty hard time trying to get the boat on the trailer with all the water in the boat. I did finally get the boat out and now totally soaked. My cell phone was in my pant's pocket(now ruined) and my digital camera that I also put in a dry place under the boat seat... well the water got high enough in the boat that the seats in my boat were underwater and filled up my seat compartment. Digital camera looks to be ruined also.

Oh well... stuff happens. I went back today to pull in my limb lines that I left out and spent some time with Jim(Tulcat) and his brother in law. I was planning on meeting them on Saturaday afternoon but being wet, miserable and missing a boat plug I came home to dry out and come back on Sunday. These are probably the last pics with this camera. I couldn't get it to upload off the camera, but the memory stick still works and stuck it in my computer for my only pic of the day. Pic is getting ready to clean fish in the rain.

Attached Files: