Verdigris / Navigation Channel

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 16, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Do you fish on the Verdigris River or the Navigation Channel? Post information about your expeditions here.

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I confess... I got some lines wet last weekend. I managed to drown several shad in the process of boating (and releasing) over 100 male channelcat. The females had not yet moved up to the nesting areas, and the males were aggressively protecting their individual nest sites from all comers.

Not one blue showed up in my boat while fishing in the shallows of Dirty Creek on Kerr Lake. Out of frustration, I moved below L&D 16 for some ballooning. While letting my first balloon out, my clicker began screaming as a solid strike began peeling line from my 70-year old Ocean City reel. I already had let out over 200 yards of line, and this fish took all of the rest, clear down to the bare spool.

I'm glad I had that old reel mounted to a good rod. They really built those old reels with a lot of guts. With arthritic shoulders and elbow throbbing from the give and take, the fish suddenly blasted to the surface in a rolling leap. To my eternal dismay and disappointment, it was a gar. All of my hopes and expectations of fame, pictures in the paper and my name in the record book evaporated.

I resisted the temptation to cut the line and continued to drag the belligerent beast to the boat. I didn't risk ruining my landing net on such a toothy critter, so I led his head with the rod and grabbed the fish by the tail with one hand, dropped the rod into the bottom of the boat and wrestled him aboard. Big mistake... he wasn't tired out yet!

He managed to slam himself toward my open tacklebox and turn it over, scattering hooks, sinkers and swivels in all directions underfoot. After that, he flipped my cooler of iced sodas into the river and proceeded to inflict bruises on my shinbones. Enough was enough!

I started looking around for something to use as a club... There was nothing that would work except the aluminum handle of the landing net, and it was too long. All I could do was get rid of the problem before he completely wrecked my boat and broke my legs. I cut the line with my bait knife and grabbed the prehistoric throwback by the tail and unceremoniously wrestled him back over the side into the river with a resounding splash.

That gar had to be over eight feet long and weigh nearly 500 pounds. Well, maybe in reality it was closer to six feet and 100 pounds… who’s to argue the point? It’s my story and I’ll tell it like I want to! The only eyewitnesses were over a quarter mile away.

Since then I’ve made a gar tranquilizer from a short, lead-filled copper pipe for future encounters of the third kind since it’s against the law to carry a loaded gun in the boat.

That brings to mind another story from my youth…

Some few years ago… longer than I care to remember or admit to, my Boy Scout buddies and I decided to drive to Fort Cobb Lake for a week of summer fishing and camping. We had a trio of aluminum canoes and enough enthusiasm to serve twice our number. We had set a trotline and several limb lines up a creek that was decorated with lots of overhanging trees. We were running the lines, removing fish and dropping them in the bottom of the canoe.

I was in the front seat, and my best friend Ricky was in the back seat. Suddenly, a very large water snake dropped from an overhanging limb and landed in the boat between Ricky and me. Being the levelheaded and brave fellow that I was, I gave the boat to the snake, bailing out into the waist deep water.

Ricky, being the fast thinker and fearless fellow he was, picked up his stainless steel .410 Snake Charmer and dispatched the snake… and the canoe sank due to the rather large window opened in it’s bottom. That was a long walk back to camp, dragging that damaged canoe full of live fish through the mud and weeds. Maybe that’s why there’s a law against carrying a gun on a boat.

3. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris,
    I was wondering if you have tried the Navigation Channel with Jugs lately. If so, how did you do?

My brother in law and I are thinking about hitting it this weekend. What would you suggest in the way of bait? Shad, bluegill, live, cut, frozen? I think we are going to put in off of ol 66 between catoosa and claremore.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Tony,

I haven't been out on the channel in a while. A quick look at inflows report a very nice 8000 cfs coming from Oolagah. I don't know how long that flow has been going but should be very condusive to good fishing. Don't waste your time with frozen shad. Go to the back of the oxbows and you should find shad towards the back flippin at the surface. Some of the oxbows farther up towards Roger's Point are silted in at the oxbow opening. Just trim your motor up while getting in at take it slow till the water gets deeper. The longer you leave the jugs out the better you should do. You should do well with the current flow on the channel. The fishing though will be better with cooling water in the next month. Good Luck and give us a report.

5. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Well I did fish the navagtion channel a little this weekend. It was opening day for bow but I can't resist throwing some jugs out so I don't come home without anything. We threw out 60 jugs Friday evening. We didn't check on them until about 2:00 on Saturday between hunts. We took our limit on blues nothing big eight pounds was the biggest but those three pounders always taste great. The fall bite is starting to pick up some but should only get better as winter approaches.

6. okie_kat

okie_kat New Member

State:
    Eufaula, Ok
    How far down did you fish Chris ?

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Rick,

We put in at the usual spot, 33 landing on Lock and Dam 18. Went upstream to dog creek and dropped jugs and chased them all down exept one down to rocky point the next day.

8. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Unfortunately my boat is out of commision right now. I don't know when we will get the chance to get out on the Navigation channel right now.

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I was out on the Navagation Channel this past weekend. I was bowhunting not fishing but still caught a fish. I needed a break from sitting in the treestand and ate some lunch on the boat and drove upstream a little ways. I saw a jug of mine but it's been well over a month since I was on the river. I went to pick it up and it had a 6 pound blue cat on it!!! He looked like he had just been caught and showed no signs of wear from being on a jug for that long. I think he just bit a bare hook on a lost jug. We try to find all of our jugs but sometimes they do get lost. Most of these lost jugs are picked up by other fisherman but sometimes we will find a old one of ours. This is just the first time finding one with a fish on after that long.

10. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris, let me know when the Blues start hittin good. May just have to swipe my brother in laws boat since he can't use it right now, and go get me some blues.
    Gotta at least be able to say I caught 1 cat this year.

11. okie_kat

okie_kat New Member

State:
    Eufaula, Ok
    Tony what is wrong with your boat?

12. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I need to do a good tune up, and take it out on the lake and test it out.

Since my Brother-in-law got hurt, haven't really had anyone to guide me and go with me to test it

Also need to get the trolling motor installed, and a depth finder. I'd like to know what depth the water is before I throw out my jugs. LOL

13. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Tdawg,if ya use some drifting jugs you won't need to know how deep it is plus you'll probably catch more fish ;) i only use about 3-4 ft of line on my drifters!!They are easy to put out and easy to pick up, plus you fish a greater area and catch more catfish. :cool:

14. bigbenok

bigbenok New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The navigation channel sucks You can't fish it unless you have a boat and on top of all that the fish there aren't all that big go below Keystone Dam and thats where the big ones are Look at my profile and You'll see a couple of small ones that came from below the dam...

15. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man theres world record class cats all over the navigation channel. the further down you go the bigger they get. ive gotten as big as 50 pounds out of there. and theres been as big as 90 pound class fish off of jugs there to. try using a slip bobber to fish the top of the water column because they follow the schools of shad that are suspended. also you might hop over to a shallower river such as the arkansas and the neosho. the fish are easier to locate. on the arkansas ive pulled as big as 55 pounds from 8 foot of water and ive been straight wooped at least 3 times on that river. way to big for my gear to handle. anyways keep trying different things and something will work out.

16. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i just realized what i wrote. obviously you have something working because of the proof in the photo. but what are the bigger fish youve seen from there? any bigger than the 30 pound to 40 pound class? i personally havent had much luck below that dam except for stripers. the low water dam in tulsa blocks a majority of the big fish from getting to keystone dam except for the resident fish that stay in that stretch of river, and most of those have been overfished. anyways post your success stories.

17. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I wouldn't waste my time with the navagtion channel. I've never caught anything worth while out of there. :rolleyes:

18. bigbenok

bigbenok New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes ive caught way bigger ones then whats in my pics my biggest in fact is a 72lb flathead on a 12ft rod and 17lb test in december so yeah i guess that their is really big fish below keystone and yes if their wasent a dam at 31st and riverside their may be a increase in fish but that is mainly striper not so much cats the trick is knowing where to find them their there just getting to them is a pain in the a#* but i would be more than happy to fish with any peson that is interested in catching a trophy fish ive cought dozens 50+lb u just gotta know how they bite and they mostly bite in the winter between oct1-to the end of feb gotta go now tired of typin not the computer type

your friend

big ben

Peteluck likes this.
  19. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man you shoulda had that certified. you just miss the state record by 8 ounces. actually with the line you used you had the state record. how bout some pics of that beast? cause i know if i came within ounces of the state record id have more photos than i could count. and when did you catch that cat. if it was over a year ago you broke it. did tiny get any photos of it? :D

20. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I have quite a story about fishing at Keystone Dam. First, I don't want anybody reading this to be offended, unless you do the same thing, then I probably don't care what you think. Second, this site has some of the greatest bunch of men and women who share the same passions for fishing and getting together with like minded folks that I do. Now, here's the story:

About three months ago, I took my oldest daughter to Keystone Dam to catch some of the Blues. I have been there a few other times and enjoyed the trips. I have been lucky enough to meet some great folks and even meet a few of the people on this site and others. I was fishing with my daughter. It started to get dark and I lit a lantern. There was a group of people between myself and the dam. I noticed they started looking around when it got dark.(my law enforcement side) They were casting toward the dam and against the side wall. Then one of the guys would pull like he had a strike. They repeated this several times. One of the gentlemen came to me and asked if I could turn my lantern down or place it so there wasn't a lot of light on them. I asked why he would want that (knowing he was snagging at this point and I was armed) and acted dumb abou the entire situation. He said he was catching flatheads on perch and the light cast on the water by the lantern was disturbing them. I told him OK and did what he asked. I then told my daughter to go to the truck and get my cell phone. I contcated the authorities and asked if they had a unit available. They did not have anyone close and asked if I could get information on what they are driving and such. My little poachers/snaggers were busy. They cast for about thirty more minutes until one of them snagged a nice flathead. They pulled it in and were looking at when I approached. I asked them what they caught it on. There was three males and two females. They said it was caught on a perch. I asked to see their bait. They said they catch it as they go. They had huge treble hooks on the lines and there was no bait to be seen. I told them I was a police officer in Oklahoma City. They stopped being friendly and started packing their belongings. I asked them if they were going to take the fish. The older guy said they were and became a little more unfriendly. I followed them to their car and got the tag # to give to Fish and Game. I received the parting "flip offs" and the usual beer bottle thrown from the car as they left.

When I returned to my daughter and fishing spot, I passed a young man who was fishing against the rail about thirty feet from us. He said he saw what they were doing and has seen them do it before. He said he wouldn't say anything because he was concerned about being below the dam with nobody else around. I agreed with his concern. I asked him why he hasn't reported them to the authorities anonymously. Same concern. I hope all of us will enjoy our many areas we have to fish. But, with some folks they are trying to do things that effect all of us in some way. I have caught several nice catfish over thirty pounds below Keystone dam. I am sure there are bigger cats there, but with ignorant morons like these running decent fisherman off because they are scary or cause concern, we have problems.

I apologize for getting off the subject and "letting it all out" in this particular forum, but it made me angry. Because there are people out there trying to do good things and follow the rules, take kids fishing, families, or just shoot the "sh#t" with the fisherman. I hope to meet all you guys (and gals) on the lake or river someday and thank you for who you are. Just remember I am armed !!! God Bless all of you.