Verde River...

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Dapper Dan, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan New Member

State:
    Az
    Is there anyone out there who has spent anytime fishing the Verde around Cottonwood and above there...Ive got a few excellent holes and consistently catch cats, mostly flats and channels but nothing of size...earlier this year I noticed massive amounts of tiny cats recently hatched, finger size, flats and bullheads i believe...just looking for info on this stretch of the verde and would appreciate any input or advice....Thanx....

2. Shaun Bond

Shaun Bond New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Have you been to Oak Creek Cornville down Page Springs behind Oak Creek elemantry?If not I was there a couple of weekends ago and caught 3- 3 to 5lbs flat heads.Just worm and hook.

3. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've fished all over the Verde Valley, The Verde River and Oak Creek. My largest fish was about a 8lb flathead. The whole area is inconsistent, Dead Horse ponds (stocked) are the most consistent thing over there since they closed off Pecks Lake. The rivers and creeks are overfished, I was in the Verde Valley in early summer and I saw flyers around about a catfishing tournament where entrants could fish anywhere in the Valley for a day and then bring there catch to the way-in, sounded like fun, but I dont think the fishery can sustain that type of pressure.
    With the reoccuring floods, overuse of water resources(IMO), and fishing pressure, the Verde Valley fishing is tough but a fun challenge, if you've fished it much you'll know you have to adapt and move around.