Verde River Below Horseshoe Dam

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by glenmorebuckman, Jun 4, 2006.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I remember while growing up in Arizona seeing the river directly below Horseshoe dam and I always thought that it would be a great spot for fishing. Does anybody ever fish this hole and if so do you have any luck? I live in Kentucky now but I always wondered about that spot. Also, I remember Dad and Grandpa talking about Hells Hole on the Verde. Anybody ever heard of it?

2. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The hole below Horshoe Damn in called Catfish Point. Alot of big flatheads have come from there. It is usually very busy and is real hit and miss. I havent fished there myself in a couple years.

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    The hole directly below the spill is the spot people have got some big one. Lower on the river towards bartlett have produced also. Some folks were taking the 41 trail to get there which is located on your way to the bartlett flats, last I've seen it's been closed. Another way in was Indian Spring wash which may be closed too. Fires I geuss have closed these trails.

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    There is also a spot called devils hole and a former guide for Bartlett told me it is a great place for flats because there is hardly any fishing pressure. The location is a ways up the river. I have attempted to get there several times but the water level gets too shallow for my boat.

5. AZHUNTER

AZHUNTER New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    i fish devils hole all the time its better to drive in than try to get a boat up there

6. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Are you talking around Indian springs wash? If so, you can't drive anywhere in that area now.They have had that closed for at least two year's that I know about.

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I believe that it is the same area and I agree with you that it has been shut down for some time. I may take my little 12 footer back in there up river but no way would I make it with my toon.

8. AZHUNTER

AZHUNTER New Member

State:
    ARIZONA

i was up there in jan. i didnt see any signs saying it was closed

why was it closed off ?

9. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    I'm sure it is because of the fires and the fire danger . I'll be passing the indian wash in about a hour I'll ask the sheriffs if I happen to run into one.

10. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I believe that all the "forest roads" are closed in that area. At least the ones on Bartlett lake road are closed.

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'll describe this place up river at Bartlett, maybe one of you can tell me where I was: When that water was high last year I picked my way past Sheep Cove around some shallow spots some only about 5 feet deep. Then, beyond the brush, the river gets wider again and there's a sort of lagoon with a high cliff on one side about 40 feet deep and a gravel shore on the other that's real ftat and shalllow. Just beyond the trees at the back of the lagoon you can see the Verde river running over the rocks. With the level down about 20 feet like it is now, you'd never get a boat in there but that lagoon would still have a deep isolated pool with the river on both sides of it. Was this the Devil's Hole area?

12. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I'm sure your Devils Hole is the same place they called Hells Hole. They used to fish it back in the 60's and talked about the good fishing there. I remember they also talked about how hard it was to get there.

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    It may be but I am not sure. I have attached a snap shot from Google Earth showing its location on the river. If you notice Jacks Cove at the bottom of the pic, it is located just around the corner from Shiprock. I would bre interested to know if this is the same place.

Attached Files:

14. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I'd have to say that's it. I've only been there once and I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. I remember we drove out an old forest road and had to use 4x4 to get there. We didn't drive down to the water, but were setting on top a big hill and I remember Dad and Grandpa talking about they used to fish the river down below and it was called Hells Hole. I also remember them talking about how it was full of rattle snakes. There both gone now , Grandpa passed in '80 and Dad in '83 so there's a bunch of stuff that I'll never know. We moved to Kentucky in '83 but I still have fond memories of the Arizona outdoors.

15. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    I say we load up the 4x4's when the roads open and go check it out.

16. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I was thinking of asking Topjimmy to take his scanoo and seeing if we can get back into that area by boat since the forest roads are closed. If the water gets to shallow we can walk the scanoo through the shallow part. The only thing that is a concern is the Monsoon. I would hate to be stuck there in a scanoo with a raging storm. A buddy said thay had a powerful storm this past weekend that made the washes flow quite heavly. Washed away some folks equipment.

17. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I duck hunt all over the river between Hoseshoe and Bartlett and there are some deep slow pools that should be full of Flats! Lots of carp in there so bait should not be a problem. Used to be able to 4X4 down to the gauging station then cross the river and head down on the river rock. (serious 4X4 only this is heavy stuff and nowhere top get stuck. And the river can be running 3 feet deep or a little more at the crossing point. I know they closed off the access point to get back there at the Cattle Gaurd right before you get to the horseshoe dam so you will have to improvise.

18. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Last time we were at Bartlett the forest service road to Indian spring was closed, I'll check this weekend and post if it is open or closed.

19. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    The road is still closed.

20. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did you have any luck this weekend Husker?