Ventura county

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by smitty1963, Jun 14, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where in Ventura County could one go to catch a big cat????

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Boy, that's a tough question.
    Lake Casitas is the only place in Ventura Co. with fresh water fishing.
    Channel cats to about 30 lbs have been caught there but it's a tough lake to fish even when you could get out with your own boat.
    Quagga mussel closures have stopped the use of private boatson the lake so your limited to fishing from the limited access to the shoreline or renting a boat.
    A better option to consider might be to try and get out on one of the sport fishing boats that run out of the three harbors along the Ventura coast.
    1/2, 3/4 and full day boats are available most days and they target local species like rock fish (great eating), halibut, ling cod, white sea bass, yellowtail, sand bass, calico bass, barracuda and bonito.
    There are also some good areas for surf fishing.
    Depending on when you are comming out this way, you may want to give me a PM and maybe I could join you for a day on the salt. I live about 200 yds, from the Ventura Co. line in L.A. Co.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ken.. Welcome to the BOC.....Tom forgot about the fact that Casitas has "blues".... I have caught several there but they were under 10 lbs.... got to get out where the Dam is and use big baits....

Bayrunner Ray

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You know, Ray, I've heard you say that a number of times but the reason I didn't mention it is because, try as I might, I can't find any docuentation of a blue catfish ever being found in Lake Casitas.
    Ive checked and re-checked for that but the F&G has nothing, none of the web sites I've looked at say they are there .
    Lake Casites' site says there are only Channels in the lake. Other than your saying so, I haven't found any other reference to blue cats there.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom, Brian..."BlueHunter" has even spoke about the Blues there and we had planned to get up there one time before he was "Zapped" by the site

Speeking of fish.... the new guy posting in fresno, mentioned the "Island thing" in the San Joaquin... and the site mentioned that one pond that had "florida strain" LMBass.....got washed out.... in one of the last floods... and all that fish went down to the delta area..... Maybe thats why the bass there are so big......

bayrunner Ray

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I'm not arguing the point I'm just saying I can't find any documentation for it.