Ventilating a Catfish Livewell ??????

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by krowbar, Oct 17, 2009.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm currently making a livewell for the boat. Gonna use an Akwa-Lung system but was wondering about ventilation on an enclosed livewell. Do you guys use some sort of ventilation on your livewells? Or is it not something worth worrying about for catfish?

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm currently making a livewell for the boat. Gonna try my hand at tournament fishing just for laughs, who knows. Something around 60-70 gallons. Anyway, I'm planning on using an Akwa-Lung system. What size pump would be good for that size tank and the Akwa-Lung? I was also wondering if you guys ventilate an enclosed livewell somehow or is it something worth worrying about for a catfish livewell or not? Any help from some of you guys that fish these catfish tournaments would be much appreciated.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    a 360 to 500 gph pump will work just find I use a 360 gph rule pump

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ventalation is a key factor in releasing ammonia gases from a closed tank! i would recomend it highly

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jason I have a fresh water pump with an overflow and an oxygen bubbler in mine. That Akwa Lung system will be an awsome investment and Im not sure what you mean about ventalation?

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Some people use open livewell tanks. I'm making an enclosed tank. Was wondering about gas and ammonia buildup inside the livewell. If that was a problem or not.

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    [youtubevid]xtgJLOXwBbg[/youtubevid]

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As always Steve you got the right answers. Thanks for the clip it was very imformative.

9. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great video. Thanks.