Vent time!

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by Manosteel, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Manosteel

Manosteel Well-Known Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok...so today, I was able to steal away some time and go fishing. It's beautiful weather here...mid 70's today, upper 70's tomorrow.

I decided to go to the little "put and take" lake nearby where they stock trout twice a year in January and late March. i figured I'd take my general purpose spinner and my ultralight salmon steelhead rod that's 11'-6".

So I drive there...about 30 minutes away.

Place is packed...packed! On a Tuesday morning.

Now I am self employed...I worked my butt off last week knowing this warming trend was coming so I could have a day or two to enjoy it. There had to be 50 people surrounding this little 18 acre lake...that is probably a light estimate. There are parts of the shoreline that is inaccessible so...

I see that as a sad statement about our current economy...if this many people can take a Tuesday to go fishing...prob not a good sign.

So anyway...I finally find me a spot...unload and get to the lakeside. I rig up one rod and out she goes...fishing Berkley Power bait dough.

Rig up the salmon steelhead rod and cast it out and I notice it felt kinda funny when I cast it.

after about 30 mins, I reel in the first rod, check the bait and cast it back out.

Then I reel in the salmon steelhead rod, add some dough and cast it back out...no, not really.

Rod snapped in half at the ferrule....man I was stomping mad!

I contacted Bass pro to see if they can do something with the warranty as it is a Browning Six Rivers rod...haven't heard back. Turns out the rod is now discontinued so the chances of getting a replacement are null and void...I am crossing my fingers and hoping Bass Pro will offer me some store credit or something...

I still was out there...but man...it sure could have been a better day!

2. Manosteel

State:
    West Virginia
    Well two thumbs up for Bass Pro Shops...they are going to give me a refund since the rod has been discontinued...

How cool is that?

Now I can say that ...Cabela's and Bass Pro have seriously good customer service...Gander Mountain...not so much.

Keith Mette likes this.

3. Riverguy85

Riverguy85 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    good to hear Joe!

4. Manosteel

State:
    West Virginia
    How is your thing going with Tackle Industries? Did they make it right or are they still trying to get you to install a tip top on your own?

5. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    whats it to you
    Name:
    Mutt
    BPS has been good to me over the years.
    I stick with what company treats me good.

6. Doc-a-boo

Doc-a-boo Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Craig
    Me also,,, and joe,,, I took my son out today, he caught 4 trout,, I caught zip....

7. IllinoisMatt

IllinoisMatt Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Matt
    Bass pro sent me a pinion gear for free. It was completely my fault that it broke and the reel was over a year old. I called to buy a replacement and they said they would just send it to me for free. I offered to pay shipping but they said they would ship it. They said 7 to 10 business days to get it and I got it in 5.

8. Riverguy85

Riverguy85 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    sent me the tip and the 2 lures. completely stopped talking with me, no apologies or anything.

I'll keep the rod and take care of the tip after I scratch the brand name off the rod lol. I'm sure I'll love the rod. As far as recommending it to anyone ever, not gonna happen.

9. Manosteel

State:
    West Virginia
    That's pretty crappy in my opinion.

Well mine will get it's first test today. I am planning on heading to the locks to see if anything is running yet and I'm going to take the Camo Pounder to try it out and see how it does. Not expecting any big cats to be stirring about yet, but who knows?

10. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    BPS treated me good a year or so back..I ordered up a bunch of crappie tubes, heads, split shot, etc...When the box arrived it looked like UPS used it for a soccer ball and it was busted open and some items were missing..UPS basically said fill out form such and such..I contacted BPS she asked what was missing from my order and I told her and about a week later everything I told her that was missing showed up USPS..no questions asked, no forms to fill out.

11. Manosteel

State:
    West Virginia
    Well not today...

I went to the Marmet locks and the piers were under about a foot of water...got back in the car...drove down to the Winfield locks...(about 30-45 minutes) and they were under water too.

Not a lot underwater...but just enough that you can't get out there. I am hoping by tomorrow they are down to a usable level. We're supposed to have a lot of rain this weekend so I am hoping to get out and see what is running.

Logically, I should go to Winfield...it's the most "downriver" lock on the Kanawha River...so whatever is running will school up there before heading up river to Marmet and then London Locks...the grand final spot is the Kanawha Falls, the birthplace of the Kanawha River...that's where the New River and the Gauley come together and cascade over a 6 to 8 foot waterfall...absolutely a beautiful place if you have never been there, I highly recommend it.

I don't go there often...it's almost a 2 hour drive. The flatheads seem to like this spot though...I guess fish get banged up going over the falls and the flatties are there to end there suffering...lol. I know a lot of guys that catch some big uns' there...

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got to give it to bps and cabelas, if they mess up they make it right. Ive returned a few broken rods to bps with no hassles. Cabelas didn't send me a rebate on a scope one time. One call got my rebate and an extra 100 in about ten mins. Just bought f license today and I'm fishing tomorrow in the rain no matter what.