Venison:

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kat in the hat, Sep 17, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What's your favorite venison dish? Sheila makes a killer dish. I don't know what the appropriate name would be, but it's like chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes, and deer gravy. It is the bomb. She makes it from the loins, and the "catfish" tenderloins. I cut them into medallions, and she breads them, and fries them. She makes gravy from the drippings, and pours it over the steaks and taters. It's gotta be my favorite venison dish.

I have had elk cordon bleu that was absolutely fantastic as well, but the above dish takes the cake.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like it all kinds of ways, but my favorite is deboning a shoulder, soaking it in balsamic vinegar jalapenos and worstechire for about 3 days, wrap it in bacon, slow smoke over hickory chips for a few hours and voila! it comes out moist tender and red in the middle like a good prime rib. plus you can drink some of that finer whiskey while you tend the smoker all afternoon.

i also like it fried w/ gravy (i need her recipe) turned into summer sausage, grilled, etc. i get a lotta burger made out of mine because it is so easy to cook. we use it for everything from chili to stroganoff and a killa meatloaf.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I get it ground for free from friends but I make it with rice and cheese. I fry up the deer adding soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. When its cooked I add half & half milk and grated mozzarella cheese into the skillet. Let that melt good ( like mac and cheese would look like, runny) and remove. Next I take a serving bowl and add the deer then white rice, add more cheese then top the edges off with black beans. Sometimes I add cooked carrot sticks to the center. The kids cant get enough and I cant believe how good the cheese tastes with rice. -enjoy-

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    jimmy welcome to the boc...

that stuff you make sounds like this dish we used to eat out of an okinawa ahck called "taco rice" and "cheesyburger rice" man that stuff was good i am hungry now.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Smothered Steak:

2 to 3 pounds round steak
    1 cup flour , salt, pepper and any other seasoning you prefer.
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1/2 cup water
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    butter flavored crisco

Sprinkle seasoned flour on one side of meat, pound in with meat tenderizer hammer.
    Repeat on other side of meat and pound in.
    Melt crisco in large skillet and brown meat over med. heat on both sides.
    Add dry soup mix, 1/2 cup water and cream of mushroom soup.
    Cover and simmer 1-2 hours, depending on desired tenderness.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I make my own spaghetti suuce and it takes about twelve hours for it to cook.
    Back when i was hunting I would take a fresh or frozen deer roast and drop it in the pot of sauce and let it cook to peices and then would make home made meet balls.
    Now I just do it with a beef or pork roast from the store.
    When I make it I have plenty left over and i freeze it for future use.
    "Spaghetti Sauce ohoo la la"

:roll_eyes:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Venison Cabbage Rolls:

1 pound ground venison
    6 large cabbage leaves
    1/3 cup uncooked rice
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbls. butter
    1 egg beaten
    1 onion sliced thin
    1 tsp. minced parsley
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. chopped celery
    1 can tomato soup
    salt and pepper

Saute butter, onion, and celery. Add to meat.
    Brown meat, set aside and add salt and pepper, egg and rice.
    In a sauce pan make sauce with tomato soup, sugar,lemon juice and parsley. Cook until hot. Water may be added to thin if necessary.
    Boil cabbage till limp in a pan.
    Place meat mixture in cabbage leaves and roll up tightly.
    Place cabbage rolls in baking pan and pour tomato sauce over them.
    Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
    Serve with your favorite potatoes.....

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    All my meat is boned, all fat and silver skin off. I separate muscle masses, or rarely will I cut it into chunks. The only thing I will cook is doe meat. Other than for spaghetti sauce like PJ or slow cooker for chilis or roasts, I like to oven roast mine with veggies and make a nice scorched brown gray at the end. (like a beef roast) I have a terrible time with it drying out, whether soaked and brined. I adjust my temps, cooking times , covering with lid or foil, leaving uncovered and I can't get it as moist as I want. It is delicious, tender but not as moist as I want. You got any suggestions Kat, or does anybody else. John.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    John, I dont keep any roasts. Its all steaks and the rest goes to burger.
    But if I do a pot roast I use one of those roasting bags they sell in stores to cook it in. It will keep it tender and moist. Some even come with a seasoning packet and they keep all the moisture sealed in well.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im with troy those things really work.

11. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, I don't really have an actual recipe, but here's how I fix loins.

They are cut like Kat said in first post.
    I mix an egg with milk and soak meat in mixture while preparing everything else.
    Heat 1/2 in. oil in bottom of frying pan.
    Mix flour, salt, & pepper together in a bowl.
    When oil is hot, I just coat the loins with the flour mixture and fry till done.
    When both sides are brown, I reduce heat, and add water to the pan. Enough water to completely cover the meat.
    It will make its own gravy while it simmers. I simmer for 1/2 hour or more.
    If gravy is not thick enough, Just add a little cornstarch/water mixture and mix well.
    Make sure you add a little more salt and pepper to the gravy. (however you like it)
    Serve with mashed taters!
    Easy, and the meat just falls apart.

12. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO

that's how i like it plain and simple , just give me a open fire shoooot and it's on !!!!!

13. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    My wife found a recipe for venison fajitas. Holy crap that was delicious. We use "Fabulous" brand fajita marinade. Its not a meal but I have to say that I am partial to my venison jerky. It gets eaten as fast as I can make it. Check out allrecipes.com.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea man, jerky rules. Atleast its hunting season again. Ive been using london broil on the off season for my jerky.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I turn the majority of the deer into jerky because it's sooo darn good. I love the summer sausage, but I won't pay to have my deer processed, and it would be labor intensive for me to make my own. Burger...it's good, but beef is better. I don't make or use deer burger although I do have a grinder. Nothing wrong with it, but I have other uses for the meat. When I want to make venison chili, or stew, I just dice up a roast and use that.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    brown my deer steaks in a castiron skillet then place them in a crockpot for 2 or 3 hours add baby carrots and taters cook till you can stick a fork into them and it pulls out.make gravy out of the leavings from where you brown the steaks and you have a great meal.ps yeast rolls make it better.

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm with John. I love making spaghetti sauce with venison, fresh red, green, yellow peppers, onion, fresh diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, mushrooms, Italian sausage, Italian spices, etc.. I let it simmer for 12-24 hours. Sometimes I use the sauce for Lasagna with three or four cheeses. Another good recipe is covering a venison steak with condensed cream of mushroom soup with just a little water, cover and simmer until the meat falls apart with a fork. Cover with fresh mushrooms onions and green peppers, serve with wild rice and a good bottle of red wine!

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Venison Kabobs:

1-2 pounds venison cubed in bite sized chunks.
    1-2 green or yellow peppers cubed
    1 pkg. whole button mushrooms
    1 onion cubed
    1/2 pkg. bacon cut into 2 inch pieces.
    1 bottle ranch dressing.

Mix all ingredients in a pan and cover and mix well with ranch dressing. Marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hrs or longer if desired.

Skewer on kabobs. I like to put a chunk of bacon next to each piece of meat to help flavor it, than veggies and repeat.

BBQ on the grill till done.......

Works well with duck, phesant, quail or other meats as well. Also add pineapple, tomatos or any others you prefer. Enjoy....

19. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    man i am starvin over here.

i just used the last of last years meat last week, but ill have some more by the end of next month.
    these are some really great recipes yall. has anybody ever read any of the wilkd game cookbooks? when i was a kid and i got my first pellet gun, i killed everything in range for about a week. then my mom bought me my first cookbook, "from campsite to kitchen". she made me eat everything i killed after that. long story short, now ive got about 5 different cookbooks about wild game/fish.

matt, im surprised you dont get a lil' bit made into sausage. there is a place across the line into miss. that makes this venison sommer sausage with jalapenos and pepperjack cheese made into it. that stuff is freakin awesome!

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Keep the recipies coming!!!

This year we have been given 20 lbs of ground venison. We've been using it in anything from taco soup - hamberger helper. This coming season, I may actually get out and hunt, even if I don't, we've already been told we can have all the venison we want from a friend who both he and his wife love hunting, but don't eat a lot of meat.