Venison snack sticks

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 7, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well this season i made some snack sticks from ground deer. i got the kit online from a butcher supply. came with 10# seasoning cure and collagen casings. heres how its done for you that are intrested in making quality meats yourself.

pic one is the stuff needed. the big bag on the right is soy protien consentrate. its a meat binder for sausages. used to keep in moisture for a better consistancy.

meat stuffing tubes and the snack stick kit. (hot stick flavor)

first grind meat and pork or pork fat at about 10% to the venison. grind through a fine plate. mix thourghly togather.

the second pic is the ingreadients, cure, seasoning, the soy measured to 2 tbs per # of meat and casings.

mix the cure and seasonings togather. mix well. should wear latex or poly gloves. add soy protien (optional)

third pic is grinder with casing ready. start running meat through grinder.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    as the meat goes into the casing you need to hold casing as is flows. it will push thre casing off rather easily. you will need to push down on the meat stomper to push meat through. my son likes doing that. in these pics,lol.

as it comes out full detirmine how long your sticks will be and use a ruler and cut them to length.

pic 3 is the casings. these are 21mm collagen casings. edible. these require a 3/8" stuffing tube. well is was on back order so i got a 1/2". thtas why i had to put on as much casing as i could and cut. this tube is tapered. you need a 3/8" with no taper.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this kit i had 10.8 # of meat and made 94 sticks about 6" long. refridgerate over night to cure and then they must be cooked. i used my jerky racks. they are cooked at 180 degrees untill internal temp reaches 165. let fully cool. they must be kept in fridge or frozen. i vacuum sealed mine in 10 packs.

these kits make it easy and fun for the family. hunters should give it a try. they can be made for pennies compared to a locker and are just as good or better. pm me for the company name. they sell kist for all types of sausages and slim jims jerky,ect.... cure for bacon ham, ya get the hint. and at real reasonable prices.

this 10# kit was $10.99.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bumped for scott.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the bump!!

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jeremy do those casings need to be soaked in water before using them? I have been wanting to use them for breakfast sausage but wasnt sure if you are supposed to soak them or not.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    these edible collegan casings need no soaking.