Velveeta Dough bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Novaxs, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Decided to make some dough bait as back up, and cause i was bored. Normally i just use crawlers or cut mackerel, but like i said i was bored tonight and felt like doing something productive for tomorrows session.

So here is what i did

1/2 lb of velveeta cheese
    7-8 corn tortillas
    garlic salt
    couple drops of anise exctract(oil)
    pancake syurp

Melted the cheese in a sauce pan
    Diced up the tortillas add to pan
    add all the other ingredients
    mixed a bunch
    then added a small amount of water mix well and set the burner on low to simmer the water off.

Stuck it in a gladware container and put it in the fridge.

My 1st test before i put it in the fridge, i balled up a gumball sized chunk. Seems to hold together really well. Threw that chunk at a wall in my backyard, it stuck to the wall for about 2 seconds and fell off. It stayed in one piece just mushroomed out a bit, so i have high hopes for it not falling of a treble hook.

This is my 1st time making a dough bait, i have made salted liver, and my own liver "sauce" before, with mixed results. My goal with this dough was to make something that is totally safe for humans to handle and doesn't leave your hands reeking for 2 days. Not to mention that if you really wanted to you could eat it....

Going to the lake tomorrow gonna fish from shore. I'll report back on whether or not it works.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wow that may work. Please post back Ben on your results:wink: Reps to you

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Ben for sharing your dough bait idea. It has possibilities. Let us know if the fish likes it.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Keep us posted on the results. Also welcome to the BOC.

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Hit the local lake yesterday to try out my new dough bait mixture. It was a SLOW day for sure. We started at 6am, tossed out my Dough bait, macks, and crawlers. My buddy got 1 bite on a crawler but missed the hookset. I caught one cat on mack about 9am.

It was the slowest fishing day we have had in months. I didn't feel like cleaning only one cat so i released the one i landed to catch another day.

On a side note i did see the smallest catfish ever. it was swimming about 2 feet off the shoreline. It couldn't have been more then 1.5 inches long. I tried to scoop it for a photo but it turned and went deeper.

So the dough bait got 0 bites, but i am not gonna give up. The hot weather has slowed the bite down big time. I plan on trying the dough again during nightfishin next week, maybe better luck then.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Ben for the update:wink: Reps to ya for trying:wink:

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if you have troubles with that cheese bait flying off the hook add some flour. This will make it stick to itself better. Kind of like biscut dough.
    Good luck with the Velvetta, never had any luck with it when I tried it. I was looking for a cheap alternative to Limburger cheese. Cheddar was the only other cheese that got any bites other than the Limburger. But it was about half as effective and 2/3 the price.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A couple or three years ago, I read where some group or other tried an experiment to see what type of cheese bait worked best on catfish. After testing several commercial cheese baits and a bunch of homemade cheese baits, using various types of cheese, including limburger, they reported that they had their best success using plain old chunks of cheddar cheese...nothing added, not treated in any way.

9. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I hear ya on the limburger. I bought some one time to make a "chicken liver/ limburger" dip bait. Man O' man does that stuff reek! I have no clue how people can eat that stuff and not choke. It about knocked me out when i first opened it.

I am gonna try my dough bait again. Next time i am gonna get the corn tortilla dough (i think it's called massa or something). I still like the idea of the velveeta as a binding agent. As far as smell/flavor, i think those can be added to the cheese/corn dough mix for more punch.

I will say that one goal was accomplished, even though the bait hasn't caught fish yet. When i used it my hands smelled like corn and garlic! Much better then chicken liver/mackerel/or limburger! So at least i have that going for me lol. Oh and all of the ingredients being edible is a nice bonus too, i know there is nothing toxic to me or the water i am fishing.

10. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Wow that's just to easy lol. Sharp, medium, or mild? A block of cheddar is cheap. Cut into cubes place on treble and catch fish! I just checked my fridge and i have a 1lb block of medium cheddar in there now. Definitely going to take some out this week to try.