Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about all those who hike out into the boonies to fish carrying all their gear, and since my back injury I have been very vehicle dependent and just can't carry enough gear anywhere to fish so I fish near to the vehicle or on the boat, but when bank fishing my van is the workhorse it carrys all my gear and bait and a hundred other things I might need plus has room to sleep as well. How many others fish out of their rides and what if any mods have you done to facilitate this.

I put in a overhead rod holder system and am thinking about doing an awning off the side of the van for when the summer sun starts bearing down I can make my own shade anywhere I go.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I always see those nice racks that mount to your grill. You could sit in the Van, and listen to music with the windows down and nap, sip your beer in peace with no bugs in the ac or heat. Man since I got my boat I see how much stuff I used to carry to my favorite spot and wow is all I can say lol. I cant believe how much stuff I carried and when I finally had buddies with me they would complain about how much stuff we carried when I normally would do it by my damned self. My back is already screwed and it will be worse when I get old, oh well, gonna enjoy it while I can

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I mostly fish where its close to my pickup, body is old and been broken up a few times. If it gets to bad in the future, then I will just carry one rod and reel, a few hooks and a few sinkers, and bait, guess I better tote a little foldable stool too. I sat on the ground last year and dang near couldn't get back up after sitting there for an hour.

G

·
If I can not drive to my fishing site, I carry a foldup chair that fits into a bag and slip it over my shoulder, I carry a 5 gal bucket, in the bucket there is a small schatchel with 5 to 10 pre-tied leaders, 5 egg sinkers in 1, 2 & 3oz., a couple small spools of about 50 yds of 20, 30 lb mono and a few small spools of Berkley Vanash in 4, 6, 8 and 10 oz. a small container of small beebee weights. Also a couple of sandwiches a few bottles of water. Container of nightcrawlers, and a container of other bait. Also a couple of rod holders, a hammer, and 2 or 3 rods. If it a little bit farther I have a foldup cart I put it all in. With this I am usually good for about 5 to 6 hours. Also if it is during the day and there will not be any shade I have a umbrella that attaches to my chair.

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
I was thinking about all those who hike out into the boonies to fish carrying all their gear, and since my back injury I have been very vehicle dependent and just can't carry enough gear anywhere to fish so I fish near to the vehicle or on the boat, but when bank fishing my van is the workhorse it carrys all my gear and bait and a hundred other things I might need plus has room to sleep as well. How many others fish out of their rides and what if any mods have you done to facilitate this.

I put in a overhead rod holder system and am thinking about doing an awning off the side of the van for when the summer sun starts bearing down I can make my own shade anywhere I go.
I do it with a bad back.
What you do.
Empty your tackle bag. Everything you didn't use the last fishing trip leave at home.
No need to tote 10 pounds of lead. All you really need is leader line, maybe a spool of line for a reel, and terminal tackle. Small bottle or can of Rem oil. Fillet knife, and cigarette lighter.
I always carry one of those bag chairs you can sling over your shoulder.
Cut PVC rod holders out of 1-1/2" PVC pipe. I can slide as many as 4 of those in my chair bag with the chair in it.
Your fishing partner. He carries his rods, his chair, and the bait.

No need for two tackle bags.
2 people working together in their loadout can carry plenty of what they need.

Last, take your time. Don't leave late and rush . Leave home early so you can enjoy it.
The key to hiking in is knowing what to leave at home.
Between 2 of us we always manage to get there with atleast a 12 pack and sometimes an 18 pack.
Screw the ice. It's too heavy. Best bet is to get a cooler that a 12 pack will slide into perfectly in the box. The cardboard will help insulate it.
We'll be drinking chilled beer hours later.

If it's good ground you have to traverse, look into buying a pier cart with big tires.
You still need to leave the kitchen sink at home.

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
Before I got lazy and think I can only fish from the boat . I used to use a garden wagon to haul all my gear to my spots . It has drop away sides and air tires . Used to haul alot of gear with ease .
The beaches we don't drive on we use an aluminum fishing cart that holds a big cooler.
FISH N MATE DOCK CARTS

·
Banned
626 Posts
Couple of spots that I fish are a mile walk :( I used to carry a hip bag with the bare minimum. About 10 weights, and plenty of hooks swivels beads etc, (the small stuff) Carry one spool of fishing line in the soda holder attached to the hip bag. My poles are all rigged up before I start the day of fishing. The hip bag got too heavy to attach around my waste, and would always pull my pants down around my ankles, so I started to just sling it over my shoulder. I have a small 12 pack cooler I keep my bait and a soda in. Carry 3 poles. I overloaded the small waste bag and it just recently started to break apart, so Now I have a back pack, and that is sweet, can put all kinds of stuff in it now, including camera, more stuff, fish grabbers, and a few pole holders.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just so you all don't think I'm just lazy, my back gives out after walking 50 yards with nothing with me, empty hands. and then I fall down,and this is after two surguries. degenerative back with a whole bunch of shot disks. And I may be lazy on top of all that, my fishing partner already handles any heavy lifting for me, but I feel bad about that. He's a great guy! anyway I used to pack stuff everywhere,but since the disks in my back poped out like a sting of firecrackers going off, well not so much!
Really I was just wondering what everyone prefers walking in or tailgating it? not worried about anyone being lazy cause it's real easy to get in a couple hours fishing right at your vehicle if you have shoreline access,and it's also real nice to get away from the crowd sometimes.

G

·
Yea I misunderstood also. If I have the chance I like to go to one of our local lakes where being handicaped I can park at the waters edge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quite a few of the really amazing spots that I fish are only accesible by hiking in. I carry a back pack with tackle, stringer, and 2 rod holders, and what ever my bait is goes in a 3 gallon bucket. I also usually carry 2 or 3 rods, usually a bottom fishing setup, float setup, and bait pole or another bottom fishing setup. I have hiked in as much as 5 miles one way with little or no problems. But, it is also nice at times to just go from your truck to the bank or just hang out on the back of your truck with a hook in the water and some cold beer.

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
Here's what I carry every single time I'm treking to my unpressured and not-publicly accessible spots:

1 5 gallon baitbucket full of bait and water-20lbs.
4 rods-10lbs
My trusty chair and sandspikes-10lbs
Tackle bag-10lbs.

I'm not gonna be able to do this stuff in 10 years!:Shocked::=:)

·
Banned
718 Posts
i have some spots that i can just drive down to and fish out of the back of my truck. and i have spots that i have to hike to. i also fish in downtown and have a garden cart i use to haul everything i "NEED" for a night of fishing..LOL. that cart is worth it's weight in gold believe me, makes for running and gunning alot easier. tight lines justin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.