VEGGIE OIL & CASTNETS 101

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 31, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I EXPERIMENTED WITH STORING/SOFTENING MONOFILIAMENT WITH VEGGIE OIL AND I HAVE TO SAY ITS AMAZING.... AND WHEN YOU GET IT IN THE WATER IT COMES OFF BUT KEEPS IT ON THE LINE THAT DOESNT GET WET WHEN FISHING!

I FOUND THIS OUT BY JUST DRIPING OIL ON THE MONO BECASUE OF SPRAYS CLAIMING TO REDUCE MEMORY:roll_eyes:

I HAVE A SMALL SPRAY BOTTLE THAT I KEEP OIL IN AND PUT ON MY MONO/ CASTNETS WHEN ITS WINTER TIME AND PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK ME WHY MY NET IS ALWAYS SOFT AND OPENS FULLY ON EVERY CAST?

I TELL THEM TO USE OIL AND THEY JUST ASSUME THAT I DUMP OIL IN A BUCKET AND THROW MY NET IN SO THEY THINK ITS MESSY.

BEFORE I HEAD OUT TO THE WATER ISPRAY THE NET 4 TIMES (2 ON EACH SIDE ) AND THROW IT IN A BAG MY SPOTLIGHT CAME IN.....

WHEN WE GO TO THE PIER MY DAD GETS THE BUCKET READY WHILE I RUN TO THE JUMPING SHAD :smile2:

WHEN WE GET ABOUT 20 SHAD ILL SPRAY THE NET 4 MORE TIMES AND WAIT TILL WE NEED MORE............. NETS STAY LIMB FOREVER AND ROTATE QUICKER AND DROP FASTER ( ON THE WATER )

AND NO IT DOESNT ROT/WEAKEN/MAKE KNOTS SLIP OR ANY TABOO THINGS THAT COULD HAPPEN TO MONO!!!!!:smile2:

( IVE DONE LIKE 30 DIFFERENT ROT/KNOTSLIPPING/ LONG TERM SOAKING TEST ON A $300 FORKLIFT SCALE )

*** I HAVENT TRIED THIS ON BRAID AND DONT WANA EITHER *** DONT REALLY WANA EITHER !!!!!!!!!! BECAUE THERE ISNT ANY NEED

AND YA I KNOW SOME ARE GONA THINK IM CRAZY BUT ITS HELPED ME ME SO MUCH THAT I WOULDNT HAVE A FUN NIGHT/TRIP WITHOUT MY BOTTLE OF OIL!!!!!!!!!

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELL I THOUGHT THIS WAS BIZARRE BUT IT WORKED FOR ME AND AS I SPEAK MY NET IS GLOSSY WITH OIL ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i also heard about the veggie oil and will give it a try, the spray bottle idea sounds good insted of soakin it in a bucket:wink:

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wash my cast net in a bucket of Tide washing powders a couple of times a year to get the shad slime off. It really keeps the net soft and I will use the same net for years if I don't find a log or rock with it. I have never heard of using oil before. I do know a soft net is much eaiser to throw!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a very good idea, but I my net is stiff as a board and I dont have any trouble throwing it.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Soaking them in a bucket with fabric softener added also works well. Makes a difference on the 7 ft., 8ft., 9 ft. and 10 ft. nets. Really not needed for the smaller nets.

7. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    777 I agree on that, I throw at least a 6' but a 7' is my favorite. I had to buy a 6' last time because they were out of 7's and I had to have one then. I can throw it stiff but when it's cold I like the net as soft as I can get it.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the tips guys:big_smile:

9. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    thanks for the tip..........im gonna try it tomorrow.

10. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i will be useing my net soon and i will try useing the oil

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Oil sounds good. I read something similar several years ago about storing weed eater line. It said to store it in water to keep it from getting brittle and drying out. I've been doing it and it works great. The oil might work better though.. thanks

12. Fisherman in Christ

Fisherman in Christ New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to soak in fabric softner as recomended but the oil thing seams like it would work maybe hang it on the closeline and spray with a cooking spray like pam etc.Thanks for the tip.

13. Flatline

Flatline New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just pray that the field mice dont like the taste of oil:)