Vcr

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Leakyboat, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Do any of you know if there is a way to hook a VCR up to a computer.I have a bunch of vcr tapes that i want to convert to DVD's
    Ernie

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    yes you can but I dont know how to explaine it to you.
    Maybe go to the puter section and ask

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you need a video capture card of some type. all depending on your output on your vcr if it has a s video out on it and if your get a s video in capture card there ya go easy as pie.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Leakyboat,

Do you have a media center? I mean media center is a version of windows XP?Better yet do you have a TV tuner? The way you say your gonna burn DVDs I'm thinking you do?

You should have a place for a TV cable to go into the back of the computer. (Not for the web) Buy a 5dollar converter. You know the cable goes into the tv/back of your computer then the cabled from the vcr go into it! Then by watching TV you should be able to see the videos and convert to a DVD or save to hard drive!

I think you can do it with Home and Pro but it will be much harder!

Josh

BTW- You know they make dvd/vcr player than while you watch the tape it burns to a disc?

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ernie,

I'm looking at doing the same thing, you might like to read this.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Thanks Guys,
    I got about 40 tapes i need to change over.
    Ernie

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm wanting to transfer some video tapes to DVD. I have been waiting for a couple years on the price of DVD recorders for my TV system to go down. Price is starting to get right. I want a DVD recorder separate for my computer. I'm trying to find me a cd burner for puter now cause mine went out. So for the ones I found comes with a DVD player. I have no use for DVD on my puter. Am I missing something by not having a DVD on puter. I got a tv and DVD player for that. I dont think I would want to watch a movie on
    my puter and I would think recording VCR to DVD would be easier from a TV system than puter.
    I'm wondering, is DVD a better way of storing pic's for puter or is it only good for movies, video . Which is the best DVD recorder to buy, one for puter are one for TV system, like a VCR/

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dano, maybe THIS is what we both need.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, that is what my wife and I are wanting.
    I think that would be much better and easier than hooking up TV/VCR to puter. I got enough puter problems as is. LOL. plus a puter DVD/CD player and burner combo, I would think it would wear out the DVD part, even the burner part when using it as a cd rom player etc. I'm still learning. I yet to find a need for DVD on puter unless I had a lap top and wanted to watch a movie outside my house, like car or bank fishing and I really dont want to do that then.
    I have a separate cd rom and cd burner. My burner went out. probleably cause I used it like a cd rom as much as I used the CD rom I have separate. LOL. but now I cant find one with just a burner in my area. They seem to be going to all combo's. Guess i'll have to get the combo before I loose my pics for this past year. I got to back em up. LOL.

10. miner

miner New Member

State:
    Sulligent, Alabama
    All you guys need is a dvd recorder. I'm sure you guys already have a vcr don't you? You just hook them up together and record a dvd. I bought a recorder before christmas for 69.00
    on sale. Works great. Just takes a little time to record if you have lots of tapes to do.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dano,
    You are probably right about using a standalone DVD. I talked with a guy that ordered one of the Sony units today.

A guy that I email uses this VHS to DVD converter. He said Walmart had them for less. He has done a bunch of VHS tapes with great success. He repairs Sony digital cameras, so I think he knows what he's talking about. This would be great for someone that already has DVD.

Yes, you need to get those pictures backed up on a CD. I've never lost a hard drive or had a major crash but it can happen any day.

Miner,
    What make DVD are you using?
    The standard VHS signal is analog.....

12. miner

miner New Member

State:
    Sulligent, Alabama
    I bought a Liteon recorder at Best Buy right after thanksgiving.
    You just plug your vcr into the dvd recorder and start tape and start recording. Very simple to use. You can record from most video cameras also.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Miner,
    You sure got a great buy.... I saw where anther guy got one at Best Buy for $99. The lowest I could find on the Internet for the [font=arial, helvetica][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]LiteOn's LVW-5101 DVD was $139, up to $169.
    [/font][/size][/font]Sounds like a better buy than the Sony but Sony quality is usually better in the long haul. And with the Sony you are getting a better quality VHS player. From what I read this is very important for the best quality of the DVD recording. There is a lot of cheap made VHS recorders that are selling today.

One disadvantage with the LiteOn and the Sony standalone, there is no way to edit. I'm thinking I would like to do some editing so I my go for a converter and DVD in my PC.
    [font=arial, helvetica][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1] [/font][/size][/font]

14. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    You can buy DVD recorders that have a VHS player along with the DVD player. Or if you want to use your computer and have them in a digital format such as mpeg or divx then you could get a capture card. I have a Hauppage WinTV Theatre, its 5 years old but it does pretty good. Hauppage makes alot of stuff like this and seems to be one of the best manufacturers. Anyways, it has s-video and composite inputs. You can also connect your cable tv (coax) and it has an FM radio tuner. You would just find software like virtualdub to record the inputs to whatever format you like. You can get as advanced as you want too. Thats why alot of people seem to just get the dvd recorders and put it in their entertainment center and keep it away from the computer. Good luck.