VCA Potomac Tournamant results

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Billy Tucker, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Yhe VCA fished the potomac saturday and they caught some nice fish. 48 was big fish 86 lb was the winning 2 fish weight. I think there were 22 boats with 18 weighing in 36 fish. I think 17 were over 40 lbs.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks billy saw you guys out there and was looking to see who got what.

3. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    They might update there website in a month if we are lucky with the details. My boat is slower then most of theres so I dropped off early around FT belvoir where there were only 2 boats instead of 15 i seen headed up your way. We could not break the 30lb mark. Last weekend in the same area we had fish to 44 lbs and 4 in the mid 30's. What a difference a week makes. You will see more of this southern boy up river in the future.

4. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I think you were anchoring when I went down river by the concrete wall. I will take my bait with me from now on until I can find where the shad are hanging. I have an 8 & 6ft but they are both slow sinking. I ruined my heavy fast sinking 8ft'er recently trying for bait in unfamiliar waters on the Eastern Shore in MD. I will be going to Green Top in a couple of weeks and replace it. My plans are to fish down on the James the week of Thanksgiving for a couple days. Hope to see y'all out there soon---jonnycat

5. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Jonnycat, you catch any fish? We got our bait in 6' of water just south and inside of High Point. Bait was pretty good there for the last 6 weeks.

6. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I got all little baitfish with nothing over 5in. I call them sparkler shad. Also had about a dozen little white perch, the biggest was maybe 5in, and I had one sunny perch about the same. My hooks were too big for the smaller fish to take but they cleaned my baits off easily. I have a map of the Potomac but my vision has begun to leave me so I don't read much anymore. I'll have to get the map out and find where High Point actually is. I caught one small blue cat about a pound or a little over. Once I saw y'all(VCA guys) coming I knew my day was about done. Glad to hear y'all had a good turnout. It was a beautiful morning to be on the water, so I guess not all was a loss. I will be back out there before the weekend if at all possible. My target days are Wed, Thurs, and Tues, in that order according to wind and rain. Hope to see you out there again soon. Later for now---jonnycat

7. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    High point is the north point of Occoquan river/bay. Sometime the bait is shallow like 3 to 4' up on that bank with the 3 red clay humps you can see for miles away. Lately the bait has been a little deeper about 200 -300 yards off the shore.

8. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the 411 on the bait Hawkeye. I laid the map on the table and backed up until I could read it. I remembered your post from another thread stating the bay down there. If the wind lies down maybe I'll get out there before the weekend. I like fishing from the Coast Guard storage for buoys up to Ft Wash so that won't be too bad of a distance for bait. My little boat does not do so good on big water with windy conditions. That is the main reason I like the Rap so much from Fredericksburg to the Port Royal area. The James from Deep Bottom to Richmond is my other preference for protection from the wind. The highway miles hurt to drive down to those places, but I still try to get down there as much as possible. 2 hours to Hicks' landing, 3 hours to Deep Bottom, as opposed to 1hr 15minutes is always a consideration. Enough of my rambling. Thanks again for the info about the bait. Hope to see you on the water soon---jonnycat