Vaseline on fishing line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pbrdrnkr, Mar 3, 2007.

1. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'M SURE ALL YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS, BUT I THOUGHT I'D SHARE IT FOR THOSE WHO DON'T. WHEN FISHING WITH A SLIP FLOAT CAST IT OUT AND PUT SOME VASELINE ON YOUR FINGER AND THUMB THEN REEL BACK IN COATING THE LINE WITH THE VASELINE, THAT WAY WHEN YOU ARE FISHING THE LINE WON'T SINK AND IT MAKES THE HOOK SET EASIER AS YOU'RE NOT PULLING ALL THAT WATER. I'VE DONE THIS FOR YEARS IT WORKS GREAT. THANKS FOR READING.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    While it may not be a problem with the section of line you grease up, it'll probabl be cut off before it deteriorates, p. jelly my hurt line over a long period of time.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the tip.......i've been having a problem with my stop knot slipping after only a few cast when i reel up the knot will just slip down my line along the last eye on my rod. I use the premade stop knots that you slip off the lil plastic deal and pull tight, should i just learn how to tie my own? or is there another way i can remedy this problem......??

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Use a small piece of rubber band.Their free and work better than anything I've ever used.If you wanna go to the bottom,just pull it off.
    Let me know and I'll explain how to put it on there.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the tips folks:smile2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of that, thanks for the tip.

7. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr New Member

State:
    kentucky
    IT DOESN'T STAY ON FOR LONG, I REAPPLY EVERYTIME OUT, ALSO CHANGE MY LINE EVERY YEAR.

8. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have Tuff Line on all my Reels and have not been able to keep a bobber stop in place!
    Never thought of a rubber band, it took me a couple years to figure out I had to but line on the reel. LOL

Thanks to all you folks,I have learned so much in the sort time I have been on B.O.C

Paul

9. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    O please tell, as a younger member I find it hard to tie that knot, would a small rubberband tied in a regular knot work? Explain please!! :smile2:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Vaseline would be a petroleum based product.

11. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'm with Mark vasaline is a petro product and I've always been nervous about putting it in the water.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    One of the HUGE advantages of braid is that it doesn't absorb water as mono does.It is the BEST line for float fishing of all kinds because you get instant pick-up without pulling the float under.If you must put something on the line use fly floatant available from any fly fishing store or Cabelas.:smile2:

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I doubt the tiny bit would hurt.. If you think thats bad, may as well sell off all your boat motors and grab the oars :big_smile::confused2::tounge_out::cool2:

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Seems kinda risky to me. Might eat up my line?? Thanks for the info though!

15. BigOlGooduns

BigOlGooduns New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are millions of pastic baits sold that have been soaked in motor oil. I understand that you shouldn't put a new quart of oil in the water each time you fish; but what damage could 1/32 of a teaspoon do in a large body of water?

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

:lol: I was just keeping everyone honest.
    I didnt want for someone that is anti WD-40 to be pro vaseline.

17. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I doubt my fishing buddy would ever want to go fishing again if he spotted a jar of vaseline in my boat!

18. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Todd for the chuckle

Wooly

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah that reminds me of last summer i was out alone and when getting ready to load the boat there was a young couple sitting on the dock they offered to pay me to take them for a ride course i said no i dont want any money get on in , when they did i got a little over half way across the river and noticed they were whispering and looked back at me so i slowed down and said put out or get out :lol: you should have seen their faces it was hilarious but i laughed and turned the boat around and took them back across the river when we got the boat loaded they laughed and said that was scary , i said you gotta becareful there is people that would do that .

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    And just what would you have done if they had taken you up on the offer and the guy said "Me first."?