Varmints

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by 223reload, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    since we dont have a varmint thread i thought id see what everyone hunts for varmints and what they use I use as you might have guessed a 223 rem for prariedogs and coyotes and a 17HMRfor prariedogs and starlings and such

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    rem. 243 for coyotes, bobcats, and mountain lions.

My hog gun is my ole faithful 308 savage...

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use a 223 for coyotes and ox around here, I have never been prarie dog hunting, but I'd love to!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    theres just something abuot being able to REACH UOT AND TOUCH then disentagrate those rats

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    If I could only have one Varmint rifle it would be either a 223 Ackley Improved or a 22-250. Otherwise the Swift is my favorite. I have one in 40 X and one in 700 Varmint As I have gotten older and there are not as many places to hunt. A short barrelled 222 Rem or 256 Win is in my truck more often.

6. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a little embarassing:confused2:. Just for the record, I dont shoot any "OX" around here. My typing needs work!!:lol:

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use a rem. 22-250 on groundhogs and coyotes. On fox I use a 22 Magnum

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got a .223/12ga. combo gun(savage 24) for coyote, use the shotgun the most. Also have a .243, a BPS shotgun with turkey tube(legit 50 yard gun with #4buck), and a .22 Mag that see time in the field.

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I hunt coyotes quite a bit. I have a .223/12 Savage and a 22-250 rem. .22 mag for coons.....

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    223 in my T/C with a 14'' barrel for hand gunning and a 22-250 in rifle form, I'm in the market for a 223 WSSM for an encore. By the way I load both coyote loads in 40 gr. nosler bullets.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ruger Mini 14, 5.56, works on unwanted, no matter how many legs.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    22 magnum on most things. used ta have a 223 ar-15. man i sure loved that peep sight.

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    .22lr for rats and starling. for coyotes i use a .22 with CCI stingers. or if im in the mood to pick the coyote up piece by piece ill use my .32 marlin. it shoots 170 grain winchester specials. when my father used to own it he would hunt hogs with it. and when it was my grandfathers he would hunt deer, bear, and moose with it. that gun is 70 years old and still shooting like new!

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Charley would that be the old 32/20 round....my father in law was always bragging about that round before he passed.

15. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 223 here.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont hunt varmits , but if i did id have to have a 17 cal .

i dont normally kill it less i plan to eat it

17. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

No sir. Just .32 caliber, probably very similar to the 32/20.Mmay even be the same, not sure though.. Wichester still makes the catridge. however guns chambered in .32 are no longer being made. but i read recently that the catridge will be reintroduced within the next couple of years, because it was said to be the best all over round for deer and bear. its about as close to the 30-06 as you can get.

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I bet it's the old 32/20. Back when they had the "dash" cartridges. With cowboy action shooting getting so popular the old shells are making a big comeback.

19. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I am overun with varmits! They have been very hard on my chickens , ducks and cats.
    I have shot 5 coyotes in my back yard in the last 2 weeks, 6MM one and the rest with a .22 LR , I am placing my shots very carefully from a rest.
    I plan on picking up a .22 Mag or .22 Hornet ASAP as I want to keep the gun noise down but gain some knock down power.
    The other thing is I have either cattle or horses on all sides of me and dont want to skip a bullet into them, so I will have to use a small round.

Mark

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Like to see a fella worried bout his rounds downrange. The 22 Mag. has long been the poachers gun of choice. For the reasons you stated. The Hornet is good, but expensive. Marlin makes a great affordable 22 Mag. I always liked the 22 mag over the 22lr as it does not have a heel seated bullet. And not that much more expensive to shoot. Good luck getting them critters out the yard.