Vanilla

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by FishMan, Jun 5, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    does it really work ?
    do you need the real thing or is imitation vanilla just as good ?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont think it helps catch any fish, but it sure smells good to the fisherman.:smile2:

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have a friend in KY who swears by doctorin' up his chicken livers with vanilla extract and garlic salt. I've used it myself with success catching channels. Just pre cut the chicken livers, put in approx 4-6 tbsp vanilla and sprinkle on a dusting of garlic salt in a ziplock bag then mix it up.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I hear it works good with shrimp too. Know that I know how, I'm going to try shrimp that way when I go to the lake.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I hope you can use just extract, vanilla bean is quite expensive

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's a good idea. I have never used this method with shrimp. Have done well with plain shrimp at the lake last couple of years. Gonna try it both ways and see if one works better than the other.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure, the cats will eat the shrimp with the vanilla on it. But I'd almost bet it is the sensory's flashing "SHRIMP" that gets the bite instead of the vanilla. I have heard you can use either the extract or the real McCoy. But, if I was going to doctor my bait up, I think sitting right next to the Vanilla Extract in most supermarkets is the bottles of 'PURE ANISE EXTRACT" which in my humble opinion smells better than the vanilla and has also been proven to attract the cats. Guess you gotta have one box of shrimp/liver with vanilla and another identical box with anise...see which gets the best, better or most bites.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    anise, I here it spoke about often but don't know what it is or what it is for.

What is anise

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Description
    Anise is the dried ripe fruit of the herb Pimpinella anisum. The crescent shaped seeds are unmistakably identified by their distinctive licorice-like flavor. Anise is not related to the European plant whose roots are the source of true licorice.

Uses
    Anise is used whole or crushed in cookies, cakes, breads, cheese, pickles, stews, fish, and shellfish. Roasting enhances the flavor. Middle East, Portuguese, German, Italian, and French cuisines use anise in seasoning blends such as curry, hoisin, sausage, and pepperoni seasonings.

Origins
    Most Anise is produced in Spain but additional sources include Turkey and Egypt. Spanish Anise is considered premium due to its better flavor, bolder appearance and higher volatile oil content.

Folklore
    Anise, one of the oldest cultivated spices was enjoyed by the early Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. In first century Rome, anise was a flavoring in mustaceus, a popular spice cake baked in bay leaves and eaten after a feast to prevent indigestion. Anise became so valued in England that its import was taxed. In 1305, the import tolls collected on anise seed helped pay for repairs to the London Bridge.

Thats probably ore than you wanted to know. My personal thoughts is that it smells like black licquroice (sp). I believe it is a component in a lot of prepared catfish baits, commercial and home made. It appears to have sort of an oil base which should make it hold a little better to the bait.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Anise, Vanilla, and Garlic are all great addatives to a bait.

Vanilla extract works just as well as vanilla.

I add it to my livers and shrimp. Seem to get more hits when both are combined with addatives. Just drain the extra blood on the livers and substitiue with the vanilla or anise. Garlic I dehydrate and put on. Shrimp you just need to soak in a bag with either one and just shake up with Garlic Powder.

Good luck on the water, hope ya get lots of kitties.