vanila extract

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by snakeman76, Jun 30, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I hear some guys talk about using vanila extract on there bait for catfishing.I got some and mixed it up with some cherry kool aid now I am soaking some raw shrimp and big shinners in it in the fridge for the night in the morning I am puttin it in the freezer till this weekend see how it works? anybody got ideas or imput?

2. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i heard about soaking marshmellows in the vanila extract never tried it tho

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have also heard that sweet anise on your nightcrawler works good also.

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    My advise is to try it. sounds like a good bait to me.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Give us an update after you have given it a try. I use garlic shrimp to catch a lot of channels. the vanilla should work also.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    When I started using Bloodbait last year, I was buying it from a freind. One of the buckets of blood had a sweet smell to it. I asked my buddy, " is this Vanilla?" His answer was Channel Cats love vanilla, so I've been using vanilla extract on the bloodbait and it works like a charm.

Go for it!!

7. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Yeah I took the shrimp and shinners out of the fridge and they are blood red and the extract is strong I got a feeling about this one.so now they are in the freezer till this weekend:wink:

8. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never tried mixing Cherry in mine but I do soak raw Medium size shrimp in Canola Oil and Vanilla Extract. I use a ratio of 3 (oil) to 1(extract). I use the same ratios when making Garlic shrimp bait but with fresh chopped garlic. I have tested it both ways and i catch way more cats when i use Canola oil with my flavorings and this is why i believe ........

The Canola creates a constant oil slick of flavoring in the water. When I trough a piece over the side of the boat and sinks you can see oil coming to the top of the water. Each one of the oil drops is filled with the flavoring so when trolling I have a long nice trail for the cats to connect with. :)

I never freeze them and just let them sit in a Tupperware container to soak up the oil and flavoring in the fridge for a couple of days before using.

Let us know how you do with the cherry flavoring ...im interested in how this works out for you.

I cath more cats on shrimp then any other bait from where im at.

9. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I will try the oil next time sounds good.The only reason I put the cherri flavor mix in was for the red color I thought it might be more interesting to the cats but we will see and I will post my results here:big_smile:

10. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    yeah let us know how it works out

11. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Welcome to the BOC Johnny

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Hey Matt I took what extract I had left with the cherri mix in it and I added the oil to your ratio I have frozen it and I am going to put it in my chumer tomorrow.

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught a ton of eater size cats using shrimp soaked in vanilla. Works great. :wink:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Like everything you just have to see what is or will work in your area of fishing . We made some bait out of wheatis , bananas , banana extract . It was a great carp bait but not good for any cats . I hate catching carp so we dont use extractas anymore .

15. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can't hurt to try it! It'll at least make your raw, rotting fish smell a little more bearable!

16. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    the extract worked pretty good my bite ratio increased i still need to improve a little on the recipe maybe but i am satisfied:big_smile: