Value for my left handed Remington 700 BDL with Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by SkipEye, Oct 10, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I know you can't sell guns on this forum.....not trying to.

I have a Remington Model 700LH BDL bolt action rifle in 7mm Rem Mag. It is topped with a super-nice Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8 scope. I bought this NEW around 1986 if I remember correctly.
    • Where can I find a fair value to list this for sale?
    • Should I sell the scope seperately to get the most money?
    • Where is a good online forum to list guns?
    • Does LH make it worth more or less? (they cost more new in LH)
    Will sell together with leather sling, scope, soft and hard cases if that is the best way.

Any advice from you gun folks?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

HUH? Let me reread that.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Two websites to check out , they should have several with without options for you to compare.I think you will get more seperating but you will have a harder time selling a peice at a time.As far as right/ left I think they would be priced about the same.
    Check out auction arms and gunbroker just google and you will find the auction sites.Good luck

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skip try Guns America.com or google Guns America. This might be of help to you.

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It's not worth much! I give ya $100 for it.!!:smile2:

Skip the only 1 I know of is gunbroker. I dont think $500 to 600 would be out of line to ask for it with everything you are letting go with it.

Also I know that Gander Mountain carries a book that gives prices for used guns. Dont remember if they sell it or just keep it behind the counter but you could go there or call them and ask what the value of the gun is.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Absolutely sell the rifle and scope separate. You will get at least $100 more that way. I worked in a gun store 4 years as a kid and the owner always told me a scope adds little or no value to a rifle when you go to sell it. Your vari III is one sweet scope. You will have folks lined up to buy it separate.

Case in point. I bought an Encore last fall for my son in 243 winchester from a pawn shop that had it listed on www.gunbroker.com

It had an old Redfield 3 x 9 Illuminator Scope on it. I had a Compact Burris scope 3 x 9 that I put on it instead. I sold the Redfield for $210 on Ebay. I only paid $435 for the rifle combo so basically, I bought an Encore rifle in 243 winchester for $435-$210= $225.

Did the same with another Encore in 308 Winchester last summer that had a Leupold Vari I that I kept. Paid $499 for it through Gunbroker. Basically got the scope free.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the advice folks.

Kenneth, appreciate your insight!

This is a really nice setup and the grain on the rifle stock is beautiful. This gun dropped every deer I ever shot in it's tracks or close to it. Shoots really tight groups. Just gave up the hunting thing 6 years ago and doubt I'll ever hunt again.

Too cold for me to hang out in the trees anymore.:embarassed:

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Kenneth is right on. I used to buy used gun/scope combo's too, sell the piece I don't want, keep what I did, usually ended up with either a really good deal on the gun or a really good deal on the scope.:wink:

If you just put the scope on ebay, in any decent condition, you'll get top dollar for it. Those scopes are selling in the $450 range new right now (depending on the reticle), I'd almost be willing to bet that if the scope is in excellent condition, you'd get between $300 and $350 for it on ebay, if not a bit more.

Left hand rifles are a still an uncommon thing, even though just about everyone makes one. The only problem is that only a left-handed person is going to want it. That kind of narrows down your potential buyers. It's not going to bring anymore than a right handed one will, honestly. Probably less, because of less demand for the gun.