Vacuum Sealers to Freeze Bait.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Pip, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've been looking at getting a vacuum sealer to freeze my bait for the winter months. In the past I've just been putting my baits in a 2 gal. ziplock bag with water in then freezing. this doesn't always work great, specially if it is in there a long time.

I've talked to guys that said the smaller and cheaper home models don't always work the best and that they wish they would have gotten the commercial grade Vacuum sealers. There has to be some on here that use them and might be willing to share what make and model that seems to work the best. Been looking at some on the internet like the foodsaver brand, but after a while it just all runs together and can't decide which is the best bang for the buck. Pretty much all I want it for is to preserve baits for winter fishing. Not home food use.

Can anybody guide me in the right direction or share their experiences on different models and what not.

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been wanting a vacuum sealer too. I know it will cut down on freezer burn immensely. What I do, currently, seems to work fairly well. I put the bait in the bag as dry as possible. I don't over stuff the bag. Lastly, I put one of those coffee stir sticks ( the kind that is like a miniature straw) at one corner of the bag. I zip the bag up right to the little straw, press as much air out as I can and then pull the last bit of the air out with the straw. Put you finger over the end of the straw, while keeping a seal on the bag where the staw is, pull out the staw and zip it the rest of the way.

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've thought about using some plastic tubing and adapting it up to a hose that will fit over the vacuum cleaner.... It should do the same thing... Maybe Santa will bring me a real one though.

4. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have a vacuum sealer that I've used for bait, never was real pleased with the results, seems that if it was not dry it didn't get all the air out. I have been using a hand pump made by Ziplock, with their reusable bags. I just finished putting up 50+ gizzard shad, so far I've had good luck with it. Nice thing I liked, I can carry the little pump in the boat and some bags in the boat and seal bait right there. The pump takes all the air out and it didn't cost me an arm and leg.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use a FoodSaver brand...it's nothing special but it works great. The main thing to keeping your bait fresh is removing air. Another way to do this is to put your bait in a Ziplock back and immerse your bag in water up to the closure. This forces all the air out of the bag. You then zip it closed, take it out of the water and you have the air removed...works really well. Another trick is to put your bait in a ziplock and fill it with water, then freeze the whole thing. The water replaces the air...no freezer burns.

I hope this helps.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also use the FoodSaver brand and it works fine. I wrap the skipjack in Saran wrap - the clingy plastic wrap before sealing, this keeps the juices in. Sometime I will wrap them in saran wrap first and then tin foil before sealing. Good luck.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the infor Dave,,,, I too use the Foodsaver... do not use it as much as I could.... I keep it in the RV so that I can prepare fish to give to friends...

I too use bags for bait... Zip locks .... and place my ocean mackerel bait that I get in em for later use... I have heard about the place em in water and freeze,,, but I have a storage problem when I go fishing in the RV...

I like to keep packs of my mackerel bait....one or two for an outing..and keep the bait in a 6pack cooler....

I perfer to put out two poles when fishing for flats... one has the mackerel strips on it... the other "Gills"

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use on for bait often....I lay the shad in a single layer in the bag and then before vacuum sealing I set the bags flat in the freezer for a ouple hours to just start to freeze up. This keeps the juices from being pulled from them and also prevents them from being crushed by the vacuum. Also, when you take them out for a day of fishing, cut a little hole in the bag to release the vacuum as they thaw for the same reason.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also use the food saver brand and it serves me well. I would suggest you get the unit that holds the roll bags. This helps when you want to make different size bags or add when you need more room for large skipjacks.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i use a FOODSAVER i use it for everything from bait to freezing meatloaf and potatoes for reheating later on...

11. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i called food saver and talked to them told them i wanted one that worked bought one in the middle price range and if i wrap my bait with saran wrap it keeps the juices in works great bobs bait

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    pip, i use the foodsaver and have also used the ziplock and reynolds vacuum seal bags. the food saver works best because of heavier weight bags. the reynolds and ziplock are pretty flimsy and easily poked by bait fins. i trim the fins off now before using these thinner bags. the trick with the foodsaver is to keep the juices from being sucked into the seal area when it starts to seal. the heating strip has to have a dry area to seal properly. one of the earlier posts said to partially freeze the bait before sealing. this will probably work pretty well. i usually just use an old towel to dry the bait some before putting them in the bag but this is pretty messy. i don't freeze a lot of bait but what i do freeze has kept pretty good for a few months without problems. this should solve your winter bait problems but the bait does deteriorate after a few months.

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Excellent topic there Pip. Thank you to everyone for the information.

Ray

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thank you guys, Some excellent feedback for me to think about. I've been looking off and on for the last 2 years, but just haven't been able to decide on the right one because i know little about it. But I think Santa might just bring me one for Xmas. I just got to nudge her a little in the right direction. :wink: