Vacuum Sealer Bags! Where to buy?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SkipEye, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Folks, didn't know where else to post this question.

Finally bought a good Vacuum sealer , FoodSaver brand, mid to upper price range. (I used to have an ultra cheapie, Deni model that did not work at all).

Anyway. How and where do you buy in bulk to save money on the bags? Those bags are expensive! I bought a couple bulk roll bags from Wally World but that still will work out to about $.50 a bag by the time you slice them to about gallon size for skippies.

Is there a cheaper way?

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I buy mine on ebay at a place called the Vac store. 200 gallon bags with shipping and handling comes out at $0.32 each (63.50 for the lot)
    500 bags doesn't save you much more the total price is 146.99 at $0.29 each.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like my Vac sealer. Bags do cost a lot. I only use it when I'm storing something long term. Had to break my wife from using it on everything. She would Vac something and then cut it open 3 days later. Got expensive. LOL

Wal-mart is where we buy ours and now and then she gets bulk from Sams. I'm not sure the cost per bag. internet might be cheaper but I dont do internet shopping. I keep my money local and in person. Less headaches for me.

On a side note.
    I saw part of a commercial about a new type of Vac bag. Its like the zip lock bags. Has a value on it and a small hand held Vac that sucks the air out. The bag can be used over and over. Just un zip it and re use it. I thought that was neat. I like that ideal better.
    Anyone heard of it and know if they are any good.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Remember that the bags are reusable. Cut your initial bag 1/4 to 1/3 larger than necessary, then when you open the bag, carefully cut it just below the seam. Of course, certain things, like bait, should be labeled so you don't put food into them.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dan and Jerry made some of my points here. I have a FoodSaver, and I get my bags at Wally World, but I don't have to freeze the quantities that a lot of people on the BOC do. So I was going to suggest checking Sam's Club. You'd surely think that if Walmart carries them, Sam's would. Thanks for reaffirming that Dan.

That small handheld one is called a Reynolds Handi-Vac or somethin' like that. I looked at one at the grocery store recently, and it does seem HANDY. I did NOT, however, check the price of the bags separately. I think I'd have to have a coupon :big_smile:. But it does look cool.

Most of all, Jerry is right. Takes a l'il effort, but save and WASH those bags. In this case it's worth it, unless you just have an endless supply of money. I still wash and re-use regular ole storage bags :wink:. The FoodSaver bags are pretty tough and last quite a while if you're careful with 'em.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The price of the bags kind of defeats what I thought was the main reason these became popular years ago. And that was to buy in bulk and re-package. You ain't saving any money once you factor in the cost of bags.

Guess re-using the bags is the ticket here. Going to have to figure out how to store empty, stinking bait bags until they are re-used. I sense that a simple wash job won't entirely do the trick.:bad_smelly:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Darryl,I buy mine at Wally-World,the same place I got my Foodsaver.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup...you guessed it...Wally World, and no they ain't cheap.:sad2:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tanya, like you, I like to wash & reuse my ziploc bags. I don't try to recycle all of them, granted, but the larger ones and the ones with a slide open/close top, or one with a double seam, especially. Depending on what's been in the bag, and for how long, we'll reuse them for food or catfish bait. Sometimes stuff, especially meat, will stay in a bag so long that we're afraid to continue using it for food, even after it's been washed. Then it goes into the container of bags for catfish bait.