Vacuum sealed skipjack?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by mospurs, Jul 1, 2007.

1. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    ARE VACUMN SEALED SKIPJACK BETTER THAN FRESH SHAD?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know about skips, but vacuum sealed shad work great for me. the bigger, the better!
    welcome to the boc!

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    It depends on the fishing condition and the "circumstances" surrounding your particular situation....Fresh is always better than "prepared", but fresh is not always "convenient"...If you know what I mean.....If "preparing/storing" bait, vaccum sealed is always the better way to go.....Dwight

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, it would be pretty difficult to pick between frozen skipjack and fresh shad. Of course, fresh skipjack is best, but not always available.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    can i get someone to ship me some skippies to texas? i would like to try & use them here in texas @ the local lakes to try & catch some big blues!thanks

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    What part of Texas do you live....I wouldn't send them by mail, but I'm an OTR Truckdriver and I would be willing to bring you some to try once I get some, anyway....I don't know when....Dwight

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i live about an hour south of san antonio but i work @ jordan ford off of i35 in san antonio it's just about a 1/2 mile south of loop 1604. maybe you'll pass by sometime thanks dwight

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I don't get that way much, but I'll keep you in mind if I do....Dwight

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iv got some skips in the freezor that i cought the last of fall last year an there still good it me i dont know if vac sealing them helps any more then notid say it would have to help some

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Yeah, the vaccum sealing helps...Anytime you completely remove the oxygen out of something, it helps the preservation of it....Stick it in the fridge and it helps more, stick it in the freezer and it helps even more....All things considered....Some baitfish will take freezing better than others...Dwight

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wish I could find somebody to send me some vacuum sealed skips. They are rare around here!!! :wink::crazy::confused2::smile2:

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'll let someone else do "jail time" over that one.....Has anyone checked for sure to see what the regs are on mailing/shipping things like that.....Dwight

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    As long as their vacuum sealed and packed good(dry ice would help) and labelled 'fresh fish' it would work. I've done it before with shad.
    Hope this helps!!!

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    John, thanks for telling me...I would have thought it would have been illegal to ship to a different area for health reasons(fish health in local waters I mean)....Thanks again for the info....Dwight

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ya I was wondering that. I have had many people PM me and try to buy them from me and or get me to ship them to them, I am sure part of the reason they work so good is they are slightly native to our waters, I really couldn't see them working that great out there. I think shad is native to your waters thats what I would be usiing, I may be wrong but just my two bits,

16. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i always vaccum pack mine for long time storage put a mix non iodie salt into a spray bottel full of water spray the skipjack not to much but coat it wrap it in wax paper and vacum it will come out almost the same is it goes in try it it relly works

17. wippydip

wippydip New Member

State:
    michigan
    We catch some pretty good sized herring up here in Michigan, out of the big
    lakes, but once summer really hits the meat tends to get really mushy. When we caught ours we tried to fillet them and if ya didnt have them on ice to keep the meat stiff you couldnt even fillet them . Kinda wierd nobody uses them for bait up here , we eat'em.