Vacuum Packing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman73, May 20, 2008.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I am kind of interested in getting a vacuum sealer to package fish in. I do not know anything about them. Does anyone know anything about vacuum packing fish, if its a good or bad thing to do and what kind should a guy get if they were to want one. What things do you look for in a sealer or packing machine. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Darrin there are all kinds on the market today but i have a food saver that i have had for yrs now.
    Bags are a little high but they keep your catch fresh.
    It's getting a little weak but it still does the job.

I think they are the only way to go if you are going to freeze fish or any meat.

I have had fish for over a yr and still was good when unfozen.

I went to alaska a few yr ago and 5 of us brough back a little over 500 lbs of fish that was vacuum sealed up there and shipped here.I hate on that fish for over two yr and it was all good.

Plus you can seal fresh shad and freeze them and they stay good this way.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Correction, i really did'nt hate that fish i brought home from Alaska:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a food saver. Its a God send. No freezer burned food. I've got an experiment and have a small trout for 3 yrs now and its not burnt. I like to buy meats when the grocery store has the buy one get one sale & stock up on steak, pork & chicken. For my daughters 1st bday on 5/7, we had a bbq and I had made my custom blend hamburgers and I patted out 73 burgers, all of which were vacuum sealed until the party. Do you know what id do with out my food saver? Id buy another one.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have the Food Saver Sportsman and have had no problems with it. I use it for fish, deer, vegies and other things. When I smoke meat I fill the smoker up. Afterwards I slice everything up and divide into meal portions for the wife and I. Always got a meal of smoked meat to go.

When I bought mine there was a lot to look at out there. Hard to make a choice. I've heard no complaints on the Food Savers. Hope this helps.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i traded a member here named foodsavor/ 230 sinkers for a foodsavor sealer. i love it. vacuum all my fillets. they stay fresh. just get one that will take the 9" bags. if ya get the mini youll be wishin ya had the big one the next day.:wink:

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    keeps bait super fresh and it's awsome for deer meat.

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I always got hung up on the cost of the bags. After reading all your input I will grab one next time I get a chance.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Both the regular vacuum bags and the Handi-Vac bags are reusable; just wash them out and dry them. Of course, with the regular bags, each time you reuse a bag, it will get a little smaller, because you have to cut the end off to open it; the Handi-Vac bags have a zip seal like a ziploc bag. Eventually, however, you will put something in a bag that you don't feel that you can get out well enough that you feel safe putting potables in the bag any more. When that happens, the bag is washed out enough that it isn't going to stink, so I put it into a big container where I store those bags till I need them for catfish bait.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    DO NOT USE WALMART BAGS I HAVE HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH THEM KEEPING THERE SEAL . WE HAVE THINGS THAT ARE OVER TWO YEARS OLD AND STILL GOOD. AND FOODSAVER SAY'S IN THERE LIT. THAT IT WILL STAY FRESH AT LEASE TWO YEARS ARE LONGER

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me too. i got the cheap great value bags. what a value. cheap and dont work. i had to seal them 3-4 times and sometimes just gave up. i see a trend.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks everyone. I process quite a bit of deer meat and always wrap in Saran wrap, then double wrap in freexer paper. I like the results with doing it this way, it's just time consuming. Considering the cost of paper, it may not be all that much higher for me to buy a sealer.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use one for venison and fish. I also go to Sams and buy stuff in bulk and then put it in smaller packs for the freezer. It's a great way to save money and have a freezer full of food.