Vacuum Packing Deer Meat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grizdog, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    There was a thread in this forum about vacuum packing bait and freezing it so it would stay fresh for later use. I thought I might buy one, and also use it for deer meat, but folks I know are telling me they don't work well for that....or anything wet. Any experience out there? Ideally, I would like to add some marinade to the bag, vacuum seal it and freeze it for later use....does anyone do that sucessfully??

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    last time i hunted was three yrs ago. vacumm packed the meat. just thawed a venison steak out last week and was as fresh as if just been froze.
    as for marinating, if dry marinate, should be fine. if wet, the machine sucks a lot of it out, even if you dial it in to leave food moist.
    get a good one if you do. don't waste money on 40.00 models. i wore my first one out in about 3 months. i bought a food saver, model v222OB. it works great for me.
    gary

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Get the "Food Saver" brand of vacume sealer. It's a little more, but well worth the investment. It's flawless and simple. Just don't try to save dinner rolls, you'll end up with pancakes!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use the foodsaver brand, but when you pack anything damp, the moisture will sometimes interfere with a good seal. To get around that, per instructions, fold a paper towel(s) in half, place in bag between meat and sealer, then go ahead and seal. The towel will help absorb the excess moisture.

5. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    We use FoodSaver Brand and have for years.I process deer for people and it really cuts down on the time and the meat keeps well for 12 months.We do all our catfish fillets in it but you need to pat fillet with paper towel and put in bag as not to get to much water near were you are going to seal,works great.Wont work for marineated meat that is wet but the dry may work but it will dry meat out in short order.My unit cost 150 and keeps on going every year.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...but folks I know are telling me they don't work well for that....or anything wet...."

WRONG!!

I vacuum seal many pounds of deer meat each season, not to mention lots of bait. Like Blackwaterkatz said, add a paper towel inside the bag and it will wick the moisture away so as not to interfer with the seal. WORKS GREAT!

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    From what I have heard, you can lightly freeze the fish first and it will stop the problem of moisture interfering with the seal.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tom, that does help, but even then, a little moisture melts off the fish while being handled (unless you maybe do it in a very cold environment), so I still put a towel in there to help wick it away. It only takes a small amount of moisture to ruin a good seal on the bag, and it often doesn't show up until later, then you will notice that the bag has acquired air from a very tiny leak.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

yeh I tried saving a piece of my wedding cake with my food saver. I put the cake in a tuperware container with out the lid on and SMMMMTHHHHHHHHH..!! squished cake in a bowl.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    foodsaver brand is great!!! I KNOW that you can do liquids fine, as I have sealed "Taco Soup" in a bag before.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    tommy is dead on, the paper towel trick works great. i do that with meat and fish, as well as cutbait. i almost threw my foodsvaer out the window the first couple times i used it, because it would not seal, glad i figured out the paper towel thing.

12. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    We too have the Food Saver brand and I do put wet marinade on my meats and vacuum seal with no problem. I just make sure that the seal area is good and dry before sealing.

Been doing that for several years now and have yet to have a bad package.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

We have been using a vacuum packer for years now. I think it helps a lot with preventing freezer burn and keeping meat fresh. We've not tried marinading using a packer, but I would think it would work just fine. I've seen a lot people that do marinade that way.