Vacuum cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, it's about time for a new vacuum cleaner.

what is the best one for the dollar? which do you folks prefer?

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We have a Kirby, they are expensive but last forever. if they do break You get them fixed. I wouldn't have had to buy a new one but My ex-girlfriend broke a wheel off the one My mother passed down to me and threw it away while I was out of town. I was so pissed!!!! The wheel would have been a cheap easy fix.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well Phil, I'm tired of carpet.
    Carpet is nasty and harbors all kinds of gunk.
    I'm going to put down about 2000 square feet of free floating laminated flooring.
    We put it in a rental house a few years ago.
    There are some scraps I threw over into the woods 2 years and 2 months ago. They still look and work just like they came out of the box.

I'm getting out of the vacuum business forever hopefully.:wink:

4. ldkitch

ldkitch New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    I have a Kirby also but I am not as impressed with it as I was when I first got it...I mainly got it because it also has a carpet cleaner attachment to it.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I tried about every kind imaginable when we had the bar up north. Short of a shop vac. they wouldnt hold up. I finally started to buy the 60 dollar ones and didnt mind if they quit. For house hold use I would save my money, they will last several years and if they quit your not out much.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    we have a brand called "sanitair" quick clean. commercial style. It has a reusable bag. Had it over 10 years, never a problem. The bag is starting to wear and we had too beef up the bag clamp so dust wouldn't come out. My wife wants a new one and I dont know why.
    She likes the no bag kind. Not sure what brand she has been looking at.

I'm with Mark on , "I'm tired of carpet". We hope one day we can replace with the laminated flooring . maybe add a couple throw rugs.

We are also thinking bout no flooring, just use our slab.
    My Son has a Friend who does flooring. He has been doing house's with concrete slabs for years. No floor on top. He tapes slab off to the design they want. Uses a grinder to slightly make pattern, doesnt take much and or put a little texture if requested , then stains floor in one or more colors of choice. he can copy any tile design. It looks and feels like tile. You would swear it was a floor covering over slab. Can clean it with anything. I saw pics of some he did. very nice and cheaper than carpet, tile etc.
    Course you would have to worry bout cracks in slab but if done right, no problem.

I built our house 15 years ago. beefed up slab. We replace our kitchen and dinning room floor this past summer. So far our slab has not cracked any.
    he also does pier and beam. he pours a concrete mix on top of it and does same thing he does with house on slab. That cost a little more

Anyway, If you find a good vac, lets us know cause I'm sure I wont be able to avoid buying my wife a new one. She doesn't understand, what her old vac cant do, my leaf blower will. LOL. :roll_eyes:

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We've got a Kirby we inherited from the in-laws. It's heavy and my wife hates to push and pull it. But it can be repaired, if it does not perform well, there is a reason that can be corrected. A new belt, a new beater bar, a new bag. Best of all- IT'S MADE IN AMERICA.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, but we bought our daughters each a Dyson DC14 Cyclone Animal Upright Vacuum.

They both have several animals at their house's and they couldn't believe how much animal hair the Dyson picked up. They said it was the best they had ever used.

I don't know if they are the best for the dollars for they are not cheap.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    we recently bought a new vacuum sweeper. I highly recomend a dyson. They really suck. It is ahrd to imagine how much stuff they pick up. For the money spent, around 400, they are the best in my opinion.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Now thats funny I dont care who you are. They really suck.

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  12. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the best out there would no doubt be the dyson. anything less than that you shouldnt even bother trying to clean the floor. now im sitting back trying to figure out how a fishing site mad you think about the best vac for your buck.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Phil, do what I'm going to do when build my house.
    Tile floors, tiled walls and all the furniture will be patio furniture, then when it's time to clean all I would have to do is to turn on the hose and a portable pressure washer. Voila, in 5 minutes the entire house will have that fresh washed feeling. :smile2:

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, did you find a vac.
    My wife is looking at a couple. She is trying to save money which I'm all for that but I aint sure I like what she picked out but hasn't bought yet and I aint sure she likes what I said about it, no I'm sure she doesnt like what I said. LOL. it is a Bissell CleanView II for I think $89.00. looks and feels cheap to me but she said its good and saves cash.
    One I like that feels a little better to me , is next step up. Bout 50 bucks more.

We got a bissell carpet cleaner for around 200. That thing works great and we have put it to good use in past year. i know others who bought a Bissell top of line that they claim is the best they ever had.
    Lot of choices.

Anyway, i was just wondering what you found and how it works.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I put the free floating floor down 2 years ago and LOVE IT!... Everything but the bedrooms/baths.

We have an area rug in the Living Room.. Wife just got a Hoover Elite. Bagless and cleanable HEPA Filter. Works great and I'm impressed with how much it picks up... Think it was like $80... I too was tired of spend several hundred dollars and then replacing them after a few years..

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sound some pics if your interested.. Guess it was 04 when I put it in...

http://subnet.smackcentral.net/michael/New-flooring/

The Kitchen/dining area and the entry way is also the free floating floor.. Looks and feels like a tile.. I actually like it better than the wood..

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like a good job on floor.:cool2:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We have a Kenmore bagless,Phil works fair most of the time if you keep it clean only prob I see is the pickup tube has a severe 90* bend just befoer the collection bin and it got clogged with carpet fuzz . took bout two hrs to dismantle and revove it :angry:I think laminate floors are on the list.

19. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I haven't met a vac I like. I agree with bearcat...they all suck!

No, wait a minute, I do love my shop vac. I like a vacuum that can pull its weight in water.

I needed to yank a toilet out a while ago and wondered how I'd get it out without a mess. I converted the ol' Shop Vac and (badabing!) out came the water, even out of the trap. Took that bad boy out high and dry, then turned around a couple of days later and pulled up drywall chunks, nails, and hunks of wood. Now I like that!

Stay away from them Orecks.... We bought one ten years ago...still working fine, but I can't say it sucks as much as the ol' man says it does. It sure doesn't suck $$$$ worth.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ruby vacuum cleaner!

Best one for the dollar?I think that I paid $47.00 for it. How about durable?It is so old that I cannot find out anything about it.How about cheap to operate?No electricity.Hand pumped and operated.How about the most environmentally friendly vacuum cleaner that I know of?This be it.

I got a antique Ruby hand pump vacuum cleaner complete with hose and brush.Bought cheap.Still works fine.Great savings on the electric bill and I know of no vacuum cleaner that has it beat for durability.It is so old that I have never been able to find anything on it.The long pump handle is cast iron.I love it but I would not want to have to vacuum much with it!

I have a old Rainbow that uses a water bowl instead of the bag.The water catches most of the dust with no x-tra filters or bags to buy.I bought it when my Cockatoo,Parrots and Macaws would drop nut shells on the floor and the sharp shells would puncher the vacuum cleaner bags when they were sucked up.Also had a Up right Phantom Wildcat,cyclone no bag type.Up right Hoover bag less twin chamber,Hoover Power Max Deluxe canister type,Hoover steam Vac,Sears 5 gallon 3 HP big shop vac,a Hoover upright and the one HP little Shop Vac that is portable and my wife used the most.I and she liked them all.

I ended up with so many vacs as my wife would loan out our vacuum cleaners to different friends or family who saw no need to return them.I would just go buy another when I needed one as I got tired of asking others for my vacuum cleaners when I needed one.She went to Tennessee visiting and I went to collecting my vacuum cleaners.Being that I "was such a Jack Ass" they quit borrowing them.My reply was that I wish that I had known to be a "Jack Ass" 7 vacuum cleaners earlier.I just bought a different one each time I needed one.My vacuum cleaner war was a long drawn out and hard fought battle,but I persevered.:wink:

I do think that the "Ruby" meets your criteria of which one is the best one for the dollar.The best one is the one that the Lady of the House likes,not necessarily the one the primary user likes.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee