Vacations and Overnighters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Where do you go (not fishing) when you want to get away for a couple of days with the spouse?

In the last year or so, we've been to the Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains area so many times we are tired of it. The Chattanooga Aquarium, Lost Sea, Rock City, Ruby Falls, Mamoth Cave, Cave City Kentucky, Biltmore Mansion in Ashville NC. About two nights away from home and I'm usually ready to go back.

A couple of weeks ago I was surfing the internet about 10:00 pm and ran across the Unclaimed Baggage site where they sell the unclaimed baggage from the airlines. I woke up the old lady and told her to get her clothes on. We were taking a trip to Alabama. We got there about 2:00 am and stopped at the first motel we came to. Not a good experience there, but we only needed it for about 6 hours, so we tolerated it. Then we went to the store. Big as Walmart and stuffed with mostly clothes. Everything was overpriced. They had a couple of fishing rods that may have cost $6.95 when new and they had $10.00 price tags on them. I don't know how they ever sell anything. We didn't buy anything. Oh well, a nice little ride anyway.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mostly go to the gatherings here. We also go every year to the 450 mile yard sale. We make a 4 day camping/shopping trip out of it. I've found some really nice old fishing gear there and lot's of lanterns and campstoves for my other hobby. My best find thought was an old knife. It was an Old Timer hunting knife with a bone handle and a fixed blade of about 6 inches. Got home looked it up on ebay and it was up to 95 bucks that night with 3 days to go. Never went back to see the final price. I paid 12 bucks for it. Like new too. She likes to fish, so she goes with me fishing pretty often. Sometimes we just hook the boat up and go to the river and I'll take her and the dog tubing. Dang cocker loves to ride those tubes as much as my grandkids. LOL He howls like a coyote if he is in the boat and my wife is on the tube. LOL About every 5 years we take a cruise or something fun like that. Had to skip last year though because of my health problems last summer. Missed way too much work and couldn't take the vacation time. Next year though we may do it. But we have as much fun at a gathering as any of that stuff. Once you go to one, you'll go back. Great times we've had at them.

3. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    We went to the long yard sale last year and was disapointed. Too many flea market vendors. We got on up around Cookville and went to Chattanooga.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Grumpy have y'all ever been to Fall Creek Falls State Park? It is one of my favorite places to go and have been there several times. There are several waterfalls there and awesome scenery. It is very popular as reservations for cabins usually have to be made a year or so in advance. If you are lucky the hotel may have a room. It is near the cabins. There is also a rustic type hotel in Pikeville that you can stay at, which is at the bottom and very near the park.

Then there is Cumberland State park which is also a nice place and has cabins for rent.

Or you could drive to Bristol and take in a couple of cavern tours and I think Bristol Motor Speedway does tours if you are into Nascar.

If you are into history, you could visit Sgt. Alvin York's grave and his homestead, near Crossville, TN.

Just some suggestions. Next time you go to Asheville, NC, stop in Erwin TN before crossing the mountain and visit that little town. There are several waterfalls, rafting, exceptional food at the Elm restaurant and the Unaka Mountains are there.

5. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    We went to Falls Creek Falls a couple of years ago but I can't remember if we spent the night in that area or went on somewhere else.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    grumpy, me and the wife went to rock city a couple of years ago. saw ruby falls and took the incline railway ride. i am afraid of heights, and it scared me to death. beautiful tho. we enjoyed it. i want to go back this year.

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I love to travel, I am planning on two trip over the next couple of years, 1 to Jamaca and my Finace wants to take another to Cancun.

I am also plannign on drving for my move to IN in Feb. i think my love for travel sprouted from when I was in the Marine Corps and traveled often.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

We've taken trips to Chicago, or we will just drive for no reason. There is plenty to do up and down the Mississippi valley, so we can usually come up with something.

Ray

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

How about Grandfather Mountain or Cherokee, NC? The pic in my profile was taken on top of Grandfather Mountain by Swampy.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yep, if you don't get out of the towns you'll find nothing but vendors on that yard sale. I didn't get to go this past year, but the 3 year prior we went and had a great time. Last time though was a bit disappointing, they had extended it to 9 days for some reason and the sellers just weren't there at the same time. I've bought some of my best fishing gear there. I collect Mitchell reels and Coleman lanterns. It's a treasure for that stuff. I remember buying a Mitchell 306, 308 and a 300 the first year I went for 10 bucks. Then in the same trip I bought another 306, still with the new paper on spool with a nice rod for 12 bucks. If you're a Mitchell collector, you know those are decent prices for the shape they're in. I had a whole grocery bag full of reels when I got home that time. LOL

Phil, if you take I-40 to Nashville on that trip and don't call me on the way I'm gonna hunt you down. LOL I live about 25 miles off the interstate about 40 miles west of Nashville. :)

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I thought I had seen that pic.somewhere before.LOL

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My wife and I go up to Falls creek park about two to three times a year.
    We go to Tims ford the have a picking and grinning jamboree there about every other week end in the summer.
    If any of you all are headed into those areas let me know and if I am there camping I'll invite you over for some good food and lie telling.

You really can't call it camping the way I camp. LOL:) :)

Yea try smithville around 4th of July the have the fiddlers jamboree there every year.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bubba, Have you ever been to Mule day? Isn't it down that way?
    Have a dear friend in WVA, whose nickname is Mule or Muledeer. We used to talk about trying to go to one with a group of people.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Mr. Washburn,

Then why did you take the incline? Will you take it again?

Be sure and visit Grandfather Mountain and walk across the MILE HIGH swinging bridge. Just make sure it is a calm day. I was there once when the winds were 70MPH. Almost took my back pack away from me. :)

Just don't look down at first and remember if a flatlander hillbilly from FL can do it, YOU can too. :p At least that's what a teenager thought.

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Try going to Branson, lots of things to see other than Silver Dollar City.

Another vacation my wife and I like to take, hotel room across town, no phones, no kids. Nice and peaceful

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mostly these days, we go to our lake lot. 80% of the time we have no one else on our bank, woods, and lot. My lot doesn't cost me a dime. I let an old guy stay there now and then, he takes care of all bills in exchange. Love it plus its about all we can afford these days. 25 miles from my house. LOL I dont like crowds anyway.
    Our other get away place is a shut bedroom door. Course at lease once a day I go to a room with a one hole chair to get away from it all.

Tonight or tomorrow , I think we are going to Big Pines on caddo lake to eat all the catfish we can, then run by the lake, come back home, TV for her, BOC for me, then off to bed right after we both tell our dog goodnight and count the stars for an hour or two. We all most got em all counted.
    I know, we live a much too colorful life. After 25 years of marriage, We are trying to slow down our excitement. Guess some got it and some dont. LOL.

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

went too far not, cheryl.....that and a couple of glasses of chardonnay helped:)

actually the incline was pretty cool....rock city, on the other hand....i inched my way around that walkway, i assure you. hugging the wall:eek:

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Cheryl mule day is in Columbia Tenn and it is the first part of the year. Don't remember when but will find out and let yea know. I have been there several times but haven't these last couple years though.
    Phil you are far braver then I. I will refuse to ride the incline, No way man am I getting on that thing.
    I have rode the cars over ober Gatlinburg though. Watch out for the spelling on that last remark.:)

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Three years back we made the same trip to TN. Really enjoyed it.

We usually hit Vegas, every couple years, Branson every year (also like Silver Dollar City). Florida with the kids four times (had enough of that). Colorado mountains near Durango, rented a house for a week with the kids, San Diego with kids. Last year Hawaii and cruising the islands with the kids. Later wife and I spent a week on the American Orient Express train touring the National parks of the Southwest. That was a different kind of experience but we liked it. Also to TX to visit the kids couple times a year.
    Bought a motorhome and a Honda Civic (for towing) year before I retired, kept it for 6 years and most of that time we stayed on the road from FL to CA. Spent a lot of the time in state or federal parks near something to see.
    We like travel but it's always good to get home.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I rather make a gathering. I traveled so much when I was In the Army, I am now sick of it. I will just stick with the fishing and gatherings.:) :)