Vacation in Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I now have the dates of my visit to Virginia. We plan to leave here on the 3rd of March. If we drive straight thru(I'm not too keen on that) we should arrive late on the 4th or early on the 5th. I am insisting on getting there prior to the spawn. Is March a good month on the James? I am planning on getting a guide for a day. I know about Chris Harris in Richmond, any other names you can throw out.(especially in the Hampton,Virginia Beach area). I am bringing my AGDVX 100A and plannin to video the entire vaction including the fishing trip so perhaps I can post a link to it here when I get back. Thanks

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    :) March is fantastic. Its my favorite time for numbers of fish over 20 pounds. Caught my personal best last year 52 pounds March 15th. Also caught 8 other cats that morning ranging from 15 to 36 pounds. You will have a ball.

3. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i sent you a pm bigmagic

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Tank I got hold of Chris and set it up for Sunday the 5th of March. We had a nice talk and I look forward to the trip. Thanks for all your help.

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Go get 'em. You're gonna have a ball.
    /Scott

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bigmagic, I hope you have a good trip. I am hoping to be up there that weekend also, if things work out. Good Luck.

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris is a great guy. I could have talked catfishing all night. He asked me about Jeff Williams a local(for the last few years) Procats guide and yes I've been out with Jeff. Chris says the fishing is great on the James right now and its his favorite time to fish. We talked current,wind and CPR along with a number of other subjects. He said there is nowhere else he'd rather be fishing than on the James. He said all the rivers in the area are producing great catches so the future looks bright for Virginia. He said catching Blues on the James is easy. I look forward to the trip and filming Chris doing his thing.

You guys in Virginia are lucky to have such great resources take care of them please. Here in Missouri the MDC has enacted(finally) a program designed to protect our trophy catfishing. The first part of which went in to effect this year. While I know we have an abundance of fish in the 20lbs to 50lbs range our trophy fish have been reduced by overharvest. We still have them but not the number we once did. It is our responsability to protect our resources not the MDC's or any other agency. Ultimately at some point Virginians will have to protect its rivers the same way. Catfishing on the James can only be protected by you. Take care. See ya on the river.

8. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    good luck and dont forget to buy a fishing licenses, guides do not provide them as in some states, virginia is not one of them for freshwater

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well Chris and I had a great time even though the wind was blowing 20+mph for all but the very last of a very great Sunday. We caught fish all day long and wore my old arms out. I was extremely impressed with Chris's knowledge and professionalism. We didn't get into any fish over 40 due to conditions but we caught fish over 25lbs all day long. Anybody that fished Sunday knows what I mean. I couldn't believe the size of the shad out there. Here are a couple of grabs from the video I shot.

Attached Files:

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bigmagic,

Sounds like you had a great trip. A few years ago, I hired a guide on the James, and I had a blast, best fishing trip so far.

11. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    That great,glad to here you got lots of fish because I have Chris books for the second week in april with my daughter.I am bringing my boat down with me for the week and wanted to get a guide for the day to show me the area.

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    You better start working out now! Chris is great! I feel like hopping a plane and going right back out there. I catch large fish here and I catch a lot of fish here. On my home lake(Lake of the Ozarks) I think I can hold my own with anyone but Chris is on another planet! I would love to have him on our lake for a week. In fact I'll loan him my boat if he ever wants to providing he marks all his hot spots on my gps. Really I was impressed with the river but there were a lot of boats out there and we were in fish all day. What else is there?

13. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Yea I would like to get him down on the ohio river with me for a day if he is that good.Did he use a gill net or a cast net for his bait?I seen those pitures of the bait,those are so big shad.

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Actually the locals share bait frequently(one gill net gets enough for everyone) but they will use individual cast nets as well. Without a doubt they have the largest gizzard shad I've ever seen! We didn't hook a little one all day or have to mess with a bunch of tap tap tap bites it was great.

15. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    southern hospitality at it's best