Vacation at Lake Truman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by osage, Jun 5, 2007.

1. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    I want to take the kids camping for a few days in July. The question is, were should I go? I want to keep them interested the river has been high and I would like to try fishing for cats down on the lake but not real sure how to fish in a lake for cats. thought about some jug fishing, a little rod and reelin , maybe a trotline any help would be appreciated

2. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    I don't want secret spot or nothing I have just always fished the river but unless the water goes down I will fish the lake just need to know the basics so I can hopfully get the kids on some eatin size fish.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the Boc Jason. One place that is good to jug and rod n reel fish is around KK Island. You can stay at osage bluff camp ground or they also have a lodge at the osage bluff marina. Resturant there, bait, boats ect. also. I can get you a link or # if you like. Hope you and the kids have a good trip. I think you will like it there.

4. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bucksaw on Truman is a great place to camp and fish. There are plenty of channels and blues to be caught there. I prefer trotlining for them at night. Shad or bluegill are excellent baits for both. Good luck and hope you have a great time.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I stayed at the lodge during the gathering, nothing fancy but clean and nice. NO OUTDOOR channel.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
  7. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    Thanks, everybody for the help. One more question what tactic do you think works better up on the lake, drifting or anchoring say over a flat along the old river channel. I have only fished the river (for cats anyway) so all that open water is a little intimidating. I thought about throwing out the jugs until we hook somthing, then fish the area good with a rod and reel.

8. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    That sounds like a good plan, Jason. Let us all know how you do. A word of advice before I go............leave the chicken livers at home. The turtles on Truman love em.

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    kk island is where a guide took us drift fishing,we used cut fresh shad and did well.Catmankev caught a 44 lb. Blue there.The guide put the head on one hook and fillets on the other.I think the heads work best but the guide said its about 50-50:big_smile:We drifted with a drift sock and would make about 45 min drifts and move over and drift another spot

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Drift around KK and north of the Hwy. 7 mile long bridge in the flats. Marking structure and fish to anchor on can also be good. Do a search on here for KK island and also Truman, lots of good info. about fishing the lake. Good luck on your trip.

11. JackieV

JackieV New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the Boc Jason