v-bottom

Discussion in 'Boating' started by gamedog357, Aug 17, 2008.

1. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a chance to get a 14 modified v-bottom "row boat". It is in decent shape for 200. The only problem is no title. I plan on using the boat to take my girls out fishing. In texas there is no need to register the boat if it is not motor powered. Anybody have any experience rowing this type of boat or transporting this type of boat in the bed of a truck? Just looking for advice and something sturdy and cheap to take my girls out fishing.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I cut my teeth on a rowboat, and still carry oars on my jon, "just in case."

No reason at all that you and your girls can't have a fine time in this boat, just don't expect great things out of it...the square transom, at slow speeds, creates a lot of drag, so you won't get much glide between strokes.

Four old tires in the bed of the truck will do a pretty good job of cushioning the boat so you don't beat it up on rough roads. Tie them together in pairs, with enough room between them for the keel to nest, and throw a couple of ratchet straps over the boat, and you're good to go.

3. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the response. I don't expect anything other than it floats and we can fish and spend some time together and hopefully catch some fish as well. It is 14 foot and 58' wide I believe. It should fit in the bed of dodge 1500? about how much does a boat like this weight?

4. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    hi Jason,

14 feet might be a bit big for carrying in the bed. i have a 12 foot 142lb 36" bottom that pretty much i row troll in because it's relaxing and completely stealth for sneaking up on fish but if i'm with someone else i use motors. is the law for gas power or all? reason i ask is because you might find it better with an electric trolling motor. faster to help the girls unhook fish plus you can navigate with one hand while the other can hold the rod with a lure in the water. super fun.

how much does the boat weigh? take that into consideration for loading and unloading. a trailer might be a better bet. if you're girls are not with you how are you going to load and unload? you probably could but a 14 will be a pain. i use to fish with a guy in a 10 foot v bottom with three people no problem but with an electric motor. rowing takes up much space. i love it but with other people on the boat an electric is more comfortable.

anyway go for it cause being on the water is what's important.
    regards,
    m.a.d.

5. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was thinking the 14 was too big as well. But it is what I have found so far the girls are 10 and 6 and like to look at the water if you understand that. I though about a canoe but just don't feel safe with them. I am looking for a trailer but have not found one yet. I called the game warden and they said I would have to register it if I used a trolling motor. If I can find a good deal on a jon boat with trailer I will pick it up. Just looking for something cheap to get out on the water with. Will get something better in the future if the girls enjoy it enough. They love bank fishing I figured they would enjoy a boat more.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You could always do what everybody around here does... Buy a junk boat that is similar and has a title for a few bucks (you're basically buying a title). Use the title for your boat. Just dont tell nobody. Or, somebody I work with told them that the boat was used in a farm pond and never registered. Now you want to register it, but obviously dont have a title because it was bought years ago with no intention of putting a motor on it. It worked for him, your mileage may vary.

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I could be wrong but if I understand it correctly, a lot of older boats never did have titles. It would be easy to find out about the registering and much easier to get around with trolling motor.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WELCOME TO THE GAMEDOG! WHAT PART OF TEXAS ARE YOU IN. I JUST GOT A LITTLE 14' JON ON A TRAILER. TRADED MY CANOE FOR IT. REASON I'M ASKING IS CRAIGSLIST DALLAS SEEMS TO HAVE A BUNCH OF JONS FOR CHEAP. MY BUDDY MAY BUY 1 OF THEM TOMORROW,WEATHER PERMITTING. IT'S A 10' JON WITH TROLLING MOTOR AND BATTERY FOR AROUND $250. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT REGISTRATION AND TITLE,IT'S EASY. IT COSTS $25,I THINK,TO HAVE THE GAME WARDEN COME OUT AND ASSIGN A HULL NUMBER. IF IT HAD ONE BEFORE,REMOVE THE STICKERS AND CLEAN THE AREA OFF REAL GOOD. I KNOW,I KNOW,IT SOUNDS SHADY,RIGHT. I WAS INSTRUCTED TO DO THIS BY A PERSON AT PARKS AND WILDLIFE. THEY SAID IT'S QUICK AND EASY. IF YOU GO THE LOST TITLE ROUTE,THAT CAN GET EXPENSIVE. BONDED TITLES ARE ABOUT $150 AND UP. JUST TELL THE WARDEN WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT THEY SAID IT WAS NEVER REGISTERED. AS FAR AS TRAILER,CHECK OUT WWW.CRAIGSLIST.DALLAS.ORG. LOOK IN THE BOATS SECTION.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    For about 20 years I carried this Wards 14 ft semi-V boat on top of our popup camper. I could easily load it by myself for I had made a roller bar for the camper top. Sometimes the kids and wife helped.

I pushed it down to the water (without motor) like a wheelbarrow for I had mounted two wheels at the back of the boat. Carried the 15 HP motor in the car.

I think the weight was less than 150 lbs.

It cost $220 new. 1973 LOL

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you are all set for a catfishing adventure!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Nothing wrong with using a V-bottom for your purpose, but $200 for a boat with no title sounds pretty high to me. For that price, at lease around here, I can buy a 14' jon boat with a valid title. Give some thought to the fact that after rowing a bit, you may decide that you want to invest in a small trolling motor. Here in Arkansas, that means that you've got to have the boat registered; don't know about your state.