v bottom boats

Discussion in 'Boating' started by coondog, Mar 20, 2007.

1. coondog

coondog New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have fished out of flat bottom boats all my life. I see alot of v hulls and I have been wondering if there are any advantages in v hulls and disadvantages.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeff V Hulls will split the waves on rough water, which changes the ride a bunch. The negative on a v Hull would be that they catch a lot of drag when there is current or drift fishing. Both the flat bottom and the v hull has its place. For larger waters I prefer the semi V hull.:lol:

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I swear Carolina Skiff isn't paying me!! Checkout the DLV line Carolina Skiff has out. Boston Whaler type bottom, stable as a dock at anchor, safe in water we shouldn't be out in and a breeze to take care of. IMHO the ultimate big river cat boat.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    V hull draws more water and because of that it takes more engine to get it on plane. You got to get all that hull out of the water and on top of the water.
    Flat bottom boats are fine . You just have to realize you slow down when it gets choppy or go for a kidney transplant.

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I'll second that Mark. My flatbottom has bounced me around a time or two. You learn quick to slow down in rough water.