Utra-Lite reel on a fly rod

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by RIP, May 5, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I think it was Pee-Wee that said on here how much fun this was. So today I put my 310x Mitchell reel on my 12' fly rod and went to the pond with 3 dozen shiners. I had a freaken ball, catching crappie and bass. I rigged it with a slip float, They felt like monsters on that fly rod and you can throw it a mile. Ya'll give it a try it's a blast.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Rip, I do almost the same thing. The catfish I usually catch are 6 pounds or less and my favorite rig is a 12 foot B&M Cadillac crappie pole with a small Shimano spinning reel and I use 20 pound test Power Pro. It is my version of ultra-light. It is a blast even if I catch a dink. I agree ya'll should give it a try if not for cats try it for catching bait.

ST

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You don;t even have to learn how to use and cast a fly rod & reel.B & M Slow Troller ST-3 10 ft,Wally Marshal Mighty Lite 12 ft.,and Cabelas Match 12 ft. rods are also great to fish like this.I have one of each and 3 fly rods.I like them so much that I am going to try to take them with me when I die.I have NEVER fished with a fly reel.You can have a ball while you are waiting on that record cat.They also are great with a 1/64 or 1/32 spinner in a trout stream.They are even fun in a goldfish pool.peewee-williams

4. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You guys just re-invented the noodle rod!!!! I used to troll for crappie with these rods with an ultra-lite spinning reel with 4 lb test. The noodle rod is 12 feet in lenght made by Browning and others. I have only seen the two that I bought for sale, they are not common. My girlfreind caught a 12 lb white perch on one(freashwater drum). She was worn out but landed it after 35 minutes. I loved the look on her face and I will never forget that day.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been at it since the 50,s.I also have 2 "noodle rods" bought 20+ years ago from Cabela`s.#1 is a Cabela`s "Match Rod 12 ft. 2-8 lb.line.#2 is a slightly heavier Cabela`s "European predator Rod 11 ft.-1 3/4 lb.test curve.The nice thing about them is that you have about 2 feet of cork handle with sliding rings.You can mount your reels any where on the handles that suits you.At the same time,I also bought 2 of the Australian Alvey center pin,side casting reels size 50 C1.I had a lot of fun catching Spanish and King Mackerel on them,along with a lot of fresh water fish.I think these reels are the best of both worlds (spinning & casting).They just take some getting used to.They are a little large and awkward at first.Rods & reels were well made and have held up great.If you wish to cast really long distances,these reels are great.My 3 fly rods are all 8 ft. and 5-6 lb.line weight range.I have found that "under spin"spin cast reels work fairly well with all of the above rods,and are a blessing with my bad hands.peewee-williams

6. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I have been using that set up for years. I can into the beds easier by just reaching out with the rod thus eliminating the splash. It is a blast and my kids love it. They have fun fighting a nice crappie or blue gill on this set up.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also have been using this setup for crappie fishing for many years, makes it a lot of fun and you can use different lenght rods to drift and not get tangled up.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Me too! I learned that one from my dad when I was a kid. I have had a several of those set ups throughout the years and they are a blast! I caught an 8 pounder on mine and also used the same set up for ocean perch off the cliffs. Big fun! I also have the 12 foot "cabelas match rod'" which is a little heavier, but takes up alot of room and cant get in places I can with my 9 foot fly rod and ultralight spinning reel!