Utah Lake

Discussion in 'UTAH LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by wayner, Mar 27, 2007.

1. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    The ice is off Utah Lake, I know it's early but I am anxious has anyone fished it this Year?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey wayner i haven't been up there in years... used to live in american fork, logan, and vernal. i can tell you the channels will be biting even before the ice is off. down here in tx we catch cats all year, even in the coldest parts of winter. i assure you that right about ice out the cats are gorging on winterkilled fish. from what i remember, utah lake has a good supply of channels, some are prett nice. another good spot, might be kind of a drive for you, is the bear river up in logan. we fished the green river a lot too.
    i know utah is weird about its livebait regulations, but i don't remember if you can use shad, or if you can even get em. try some cut carp. it's a killer bait for springtime.

3. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    Thanks for the reply, where on the Bear did you fish and how big are they?

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i fished the bear river by logan. i don't remember a channel bigger than five pounds. up by bear lake there are a few channels too. we always used chicken livers, but that was before i knew about cut bait.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I'll second using cut carp. Used it a lot at Willard Bay. Willard was a lot closer for me, since I lived in the Bountiful area. Even got into a wiper or 2 early in the year using cut carp.
    Getting carp is a piece of cake, too...in most of the valleys lakes/ponds.

The cats outta Willard were great table fare as well...never got one over 4lb tho.

too bad about the leaking dike and drawdown for repairs

cyas
    robert

6. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    When you cut the carp do you use just the meat or leave the scales on,

Wayne

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wayner here's how i do mine...
    scale your carp with a stout bladed knife. i use a bowie knife. fillet it, severing skin and all from the tail. cut the ribs out. cut the fillet into cubes, about an inch or less, leaving the skin on. toss on a circle and go for it. i mix crushed garlic and cooking oil with mine, and get better results.
    make sure you keep the bait cold, or the meat and skin will separate. the skin is what makes this such a durable bait. i have caught quite a few cats on just one peice of bait. carp has a very distinctive smell, so try not to get it all over you!
    don't wash the meat before you finish it, either.
    also get all the scales out, as they will stop a hook point from connecting to the cat's mouth!
    good luck!

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    it stays on the hook better if you leave the skin on. I always filleted the carp a bit after knocking the scales off. you may use small 1/2 to one inch chunks or squares or long strips depending on how big your baitfish is, and which size the cats prefer on any particular day.
    if you were gonna try skinless, you may want to go with a treble hook.

be warned though...it can be difficult to get your hook back out of the skin...that's some tuff stuff!

good luck
    robert

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Lol..looks like we were typing at the same time. kudos for the much better detail.

cyas
    robert

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    eventually the cats will tear the meat off the skin. where the hook penetrates the skin, cut a little slit there. it's easy that way to get it off.
    i've seen more than a few of my buddies bury a hook in their hand or finger trying to wrestle the tough leathery skin off the hook!

11. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realize you could scale a carp that helps.

12. Old Whiskers

Old Whiskers New Member

State:
    Utah
    I recently moved to Roosevelt from Texas. I have heard that the
    catfishing is good on the Green river. Can anyone tell me a good place
    on the Green river to go give it a try? Any help with the catfishing
    in Utah would be great.

13. utcat

utcat New Member

State:
    Utah
    Lower Green down around Green River Ut is good. Sorry for not getting on sooner not much action here only a couple Bretheren here in UT. From where youa re you could also go out to Split mtn and work that area there are quite a few cats in that area.

14. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i was wondering when the best time to hit the utah lake because i am looking to try some new ideas for bait to use for those big cats.

15. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    hit that lake any time can, then let me know how you do... i'm not apposed to fishing it but there are consumtion advisories for it , and sometimes i like to eat what i catch. personally i have fished it before and dusk to dark was great , that was in warmer months though.. dont know about now?

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    thanks fo the info.
    about those fish advisorys i dont like to keep fish from there any way some are nasty looking and are covered in gunk off the bottom. i just want to try some ideas ive had and havent had a chance to try them on a lake yet and just farm ponds. talk to you later.

17. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    hay before you drive along ways away try fishin the duchesne river just down highway 40. you could probably aske the land owners for permission to go to the river through there property. and most of the ditches in the area have places you can catch craws that you can use as bait minnows also work. you can buy them at the jubilee in roosevelt will have them use the medium sized chubs for cats and the small ones for bass the ones for bass put them on a jigg and throw them out in the middle of the river and move it like a wounded baitfish.