Using Your Noodle

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ratkinson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Just a quick blurb about one of the new style rod holders I've come up with. Take a length of 1 1/2" PVC I usually keep em' about 2' in length.
    You also need a length of rebar to pound into the ground until you feel it is secure then have about 6-8" sticking out above the ground. Take a pool noodle and cut it in 10" sections, then cut them in half lengthwise
    (may have to trim a little more off depending on the noodle)
    Stuff it down the end of the PVC the stake will go in. this gives you a small channel for the stake to go in, and eliminates the extra room for the pvc to rock around. The stake can be driven in at any angle you prefer, very handy, very portable, and, with one noodle, one pvc length, and one rebar length you can make quite a few fairly cheeply. Hope this helps somebody.

Richard:0a36: Looky there I'm a Swordsman!!!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seeing as how you are a government inspector, I will assume you have personally tried this... I have a phobia about watching my rods get launched into the river/lake. I imagine that as long as it is nearly vertical it would work good, but what happens if a fish pulls it down to about 10 or 15 degrees from horizontal. Does the rods stay put?

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I haven't had any problems at all with them. Bare in mind I live in NY and the record cat here is in the mid 30#s. So I havent had any monsters have a go at them. Obviously the closer you get to horizontal the more risk you run, but rarely do my rods get even close to that, depending on fishin conditions...in current Ican get away with a steeper angle because it's not pulling parallel to the opening of the pipe.

Richard

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Or rather a smaller angle closer to parallel.

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I imagine if you've got the biggins' you'd want to sink you stake in further.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard congrats on your new rank level. Thanks for the rod holder idea.:lol: :big_smile:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh, don't shoot me, but you even sound like a government inspector. LOL

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Congrats on your new rank Rich, and thanks for the rod holder idea!