Using yo yo's for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Haftafish8780, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What are the best type and size of hooks to use on yo-yos for channel cats from 2-5lbs?

2. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Oh and I will be using dough bait on some and live crawfish on others.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    FYI on the Yo-Yos, Jo-Jo; don't use circle hooks because the yo-yo will jerk the hook out of the fish's mouth. I use J style Limericks, sizes 1 & 1/0, baited w/minnows, catch crappie, white bass, smallmouths, largemouths, spotted bass, drum, and eater size cats. I have had a couple get messed and tangled up when a too large of a cat gets on, and then off. Yo-yo's not designed for big fish Jo-Jo, though I have caught a 10 lb channel once.

4. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    Use #8 treble hooks (for dough balls), and 1/0 octopus hooks (for crayfish). Good Luck!

5. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ok these are the hooks I got today. I bought 50 of them my friend that has been to the lake were we are going to fish them said get a #2 size but did not say what style

6. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    sorry the pic did not work
    but they are octopus hooks. will they work?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Octopus hooks should work fine. 2/0 might be a little big though.

8. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I use 7/0 red octopus sickle hooks and have caught channel cats from 1 pound to twenty with em. bigger hook plus bigger bait =bigger fish

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OK, IMO you got lucky with the big one, the fact is the yo-yo's weren't designed for big fish; for one thing you can't use a bluegill or other larger baitfish because they will set the trigger off; another is the spring is not stout enough to keep a large fish from running all the line out and getting tangled.

Yo-yo's are popular down south, especially in the swamps, for crappie.

See pic of fish we caught from the dock a couple years ago on yo-yo's. (never mind, it won't attach for some reason)

10. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Mainly what I meant was that even a small catfish can be hooked by a 7/0 hook and yeah catching that big fish was lucky for me but not for him!!!!

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What I meant by saying to use smaller hooks was in order to use live MINNOWS for bait.

The invert is also true; even a big catfish can be caught on a 1/0 hook.

12. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I would not go any bigger than a 1/0 hook on a yoyo. I use J hooks on mine, haven't ever tried octopus hooks.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
  14. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Those yo yo s are ok for 2lbers or so but Ive had the same experience of bigger fish pullin all the line out and tangling the whole mess up. Bank poles or limb lines work better if theyre legal for you.