Using Whole Dead Bream, White perch, etc. - cut the fins off or not?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 4, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey ya'll. I like using whole dead bream, white perch, etc. Threaded on the hook for big cats and stripers. Recently I have started cutting the tail off, and all the fins. I know catfish will eat it eithier way, but when you cut the fins and tail off it releases a little blood and stuff, and I guess makes it look like a bream that got injured real bad and died or something. So far it has seemed to help. Esspecialy for White Perch.

What are ya'lls opinions on cutting the fins off, and tail off?

Thank's, Zakk :)

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cutting the tail off helps release blood. I always cut them off when using whole bream for C.cats.

3. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    This is a good way of fishing whole dead bream or perch. I've either used the head or cut of everthing like you do. But i prefer just the head.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Either way works but I usually just hook'em and cast'em myself.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your fishing in current cutting off those fins will keep your bait from spinning around. also will help you cast farther, no fins to catch the air.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's for the reply's ya'll..... :) Anyone else got any opinions on this?

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    well zak i perfer to suck out the eyeballs and cut designs into the fins and shove a itty bitty apple into the breams mouth to make it look all pretty. cats love it should try it sometime... :0a26:

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I cut the fins off and run the knife backwards and peel some scales and put small cuts down both sides to release blood and oils from the bait. Hope this hopes.

9. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    using perch, i noticed this weekend when i started to use just the bodys with no head,tail and fins i cought fish..

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Thats a roger on the spinnin. To do this may I suggest a pair of good scissors for the boat. They are stock equipment on mine.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't fish whole dead bluegills or perch much (ever) for some reason, although I do use them for livebaits.

I do use menhaden and mullet quite a bit, though. When they are the right size, I will hook a whole one through the nose and then just cut off the tail. Like you said, that starts just a slow release of blood from the base of the tail. It also might help to keep them from spinning so much on the water. The rest of the fins I leave alone. With fish like white perch that have big stiff spiny fins, I can see where it might be a good idea to cut some of those fins off so they don't get in the way.

By the way, I have a pair of kitchen shears (just heavy scissors, really) that I keep in the boat for that sort of thing. They work great!