Using throw/cast nets around dams and spillways?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, May 21, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Someone had told me that it is illegal to use a cast net for bait around a damn or spillway. Does any know the regulations on this in Indiana? I looked in the regulation and rules book but couldnt find anything. Thanks

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I've never heard anything of the sort. I bought my first net this year and made sure to read through our booklet to avoid breaking any laws and don't recall anything on the subject there either.

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well on smaller waterways with dams and spill ways only allow pole and line fishing ... usually it is posted quite clearly because usually its not safe enough towards the mouth where the water is coming through to be safely throwing an net

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never heard anything like that Allen. If you didn't find any thing in the regs, I would take assassins advice and look for signage on a case by case basis.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have never had a problem anywhere I have used a net. But some game fish must be realeased even if to be used as bait...

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I believe its and an old rule and applies to the Ohio River. No nets 200 yards within a dam. I had an old timer tell me I couldn't cast net around the dam by my house on the White River. I did some research and talked with the local DNR guy. He made a few phone calls and that's what we came up with. I think it was because people were using landing nets to scoop up fish next to the dams. Or it might be a Kentucky rule so it applies to our side of the Ohio River. I did find it in the Indiana fishing regulations about 5 years ago but it's not in the newer ones. It was in the special river regs if I remember right.