using sumerged lights

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by eric2006, Oct 11, 2009.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have used these lights before for walleye fishing.
    I was wondering if anyone used them for catfish.
    I was kinda' thinking that the cats may come in on the bottom underneth the bait fish that the light attracts..maybe do a little chumming.. i dont know.:big_smile:.
    What do ya guys think??:cool2:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ive never done it. cats are sensitive to light unlike a lot of other fish. so it might not work. thats why u dont see cats up on the banks during the day like you do a lot of other fish but see the cats at night til u hit them with a light and they are gone. and why many people turn off their lights on their boats when fishing shallow and why they say while at night and u have a fish on dont shine ur light on the fish when it gets to the surface cuz they go bizurk....but try it who knows.....

3. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    thats what ive heard about night fishing in boats, the less the light the better so i was just curious cause i was reading it out of a magazine :big_smile:

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use one for flathead fishing and love it. always catch or at least latch into some nice ones when i use it. had one in the 20-25 lb range feeding on the baitfish right next to the light. actually was bumping into the light itself. never had a problem with fish being scared off from it.

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    ive thought about doing that same thing but havent tried it yet tell us how well it works

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've tried it a time or two.... mostly to get some bait up on top to catch em with bait .....

But ..... heard about the lights at night and try to keep em to a minimum ... and use cap light when netting the fish...

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I aint shy with the light at night,but I usually am fishing fairly stained water.I like to keep my lantern right in front of me near the water.I,m pretty sure none of it,s getting down where I,m fishing 20yds or more out there.I like the fact that the gar like to swim around in the light,thus keeping them away from my baits.I think a submerged light would be good for the same thing.:wink:

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I know the some of the bait catchers here that run high power sodium's all night for a living and I asked them this question too. They told me they never see cats , they see crappie, hybrids, and at certain times the Stripers.

I also run crappie lights to catch my herring/shad but its rare to catch cats on or around my lights compared to me turning it off.

I fish a lot off the bank and off boats and
    I believe that no lights and no noise produces bigger fish. Big fish get big by being smart...not lazy. I think smaller fish the compete for food more might be more likely to show around lights but not the bigger fish. I would ask the guys who catch bigger fish "consistently" to see what their answers are. Getting one or two with this method is more luck of the draw. If it did work you would see tournament guys doing it. The ones I've been in, the guys all ran no light and even colored LED light to keep the light down on the boat.

I cant prove it but I'll stick to what my research, hours, and creel show with light and without......I say leave them off.

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I would think that this would attract the baitfish and in turn attract the predators (flatheads). JMHO.

Ray

10. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    when i lived in tennessee i always used them from a houseboat. my dad was always the one that hooked the big walleyes.

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Keep them off, if you want to see a flat flee ,hit the light when it's at the boat !!

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bought one of those lights three years ago and have never used it yet because im on the bank and dont want to carry a battery to the dock. As far as the dock fishing goes, ya think the light would scare off Channels too? Id like to try useing a Kat Bobber with a bait under the schooling fish. Wouldnt hurt to try once?

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Brent the best chance of a light working is usually on a dock that has a light on it all the time. Cats are more use to seeing it there vs. turning one on in a unusual place. Just like noise, if you fish a bridge they are use to hearing traffic, but if your walking around somewhere remote your noise will scare fish a lot faster. Also small ponds where the cats are more tame or even feed by people may work better.

I'm sure a cat or two may come near the light but I doubt bigger ones will. This thread has been on here awhile now and a lot of folks have seen it. I'm willing the lack of replies in favor of running lights speaks for itself.

Commercial fisherman don't use them, tournament fisherman don't, and guides don't....I think that is pretty strong evidence against them.

Never be fooled by the "secrete green lights " seen on the internet...its a money scam. Save the light for catching bait or Crappie fishing ; ) You will catch more fish without any light at all.

I cant hurt to try on your own anyway ; )

-Jim-

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't think flatheads take kindly to lights.

15. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    I saw the secret green lights on the internet and was skeptical. they say they attract zooplankton which attracts baitfish which attracts gamefish but I still like my no light fishing.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im with most of you guys..i dotn think the big ones will be apt to come to the light...but i know it works for channels IF they are used to it...

17. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I got one of them green submersible lights from Bass Pro, I run it off my boat, never seen much more than a few baitfish and a few carp.
    On one trip I was fishing about 20-30 feet from my light and brought in a few channels but I doubt the light had any effect on that distance, who knows???

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Eric, seems like the light is a real good idea when trying to catch some bait fish but as a 'general rule' it is a lot better to douse the light(s) when looking for ol sowbelly. :cool2:

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have never used them for catfishing , but do use them when fishing for strippers . It might work for channels but for flats I am not sure .

20. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    and see all this time i thought the only reason dynomite worked so well was because of the flash of light it emitted when going boom.. are you guys telling me theres a different reason?:smile2: